Biology is one of the most fascinating fields of study these days. There are so many incredible developments going on. If you want to be a biologist or scientist in the future, there is no better time to start than right now.
One of the best ways to dip your toes into the field is by writing a research paper. Before you do that, you need to know what are some good biology research topics. They should be suitable topics for biology students rather than cutting-edge researchers.
What Is Biology? What Topics Might Biologists Study?
Biology is simply the study of living things. That includes you and me, as well as the plants, animals and everything bigger and smaller all around us. It is about studying how living things grow, develop and interact with each other. Biology research topics encompass all these and more.
It is impossible to list every single topic or sub-field Biologists might study. But if you want some interesting biology topics for research, you are certainly in the right place. There are many exciting biology topics to research or to use in projects.
Plant Biology research topics are all about studying the plants around us – how they exist as a part of the ecosystem, their life cycle, what kind of resources they can give us, how we can preserve them from climate change, and so on.
Human Biology research topics are all about us. These topics focus on different parts of the body such as the human brain, the human immunological system, the nervous system, etc. They include studying genetic disorders and DNA modification in humans.
Environmental biology research topics are also quite important. Climate changing is becoming a bigger threat every day. By studying environmental biology topics for projects and research, we can come up with ways to combat them and preserve ecosystems.
Microbiology research topics delve into things we can’t see. There are trillions of microbes and bacteria all around us. It’s important to know about them so we can understand what makes us sick and how to combat it.
Molecular biology research topics dive even deeper, into the level of atoms and molecules. The various medicines and drugs we take were all created through molecular biology research.
How to Choose Topic for Biology Research Paper?
You have probably heard of different subfields of biology before – Botany, Zoology, Microbiology, Immunology, Neurobiology, etc. There are dozens more. Any biology research paper topics you pick should try to be relevant under one or more fields.
Biology research is extremely important to today’s world. By doing research, we can learn more about genetic disorders, immune disorders, mental health, natural disease resistance and other things. Knowing about each of these could possibly save lives in the future.
The first thing to do when choosing biology research paper topics is to find one that is interesting to you. Passion is very important in research, after all.
Next, study up on the topic. Try to narrow things down a bit. If the topic is too broad, you may not be able to cover all aspects of it in one research paper. If it is too narrow, then the paper could end up too short. Analyze the topic and how to approach it so you can strike a balance between the two.
Then it’s time to learn about the latest developments in the field. You can find out what kind of research has been done recently by looking at journals. Check out research papers, topics research articles and other sources.
When choosing a topic, make sure it has plenty of resources available. A research paper on xenobiology or cutting-edge nanobiology might sound interesting, but you may have a hard time getting data and resources for those unless you are a researcher at a government lab or something.
Data, resources, hard numbers and statistics are all invaluable to writing a paper about these biology topics.
That is why we have selected a range of biological topics. The topics on this list are all hopefully interesting biology research topics you could write a great paper on.
Biology Research Paper Topics
Immune System Biology Research Topics
- How does the human body’s immune system work?
- What factors can strengthen the human immune system to fight disease better?
- What things cause the immunological system to be weakened?
- Auto-immune diseases and how they affect the body’s immunological system
- The global hiv/aids epidemic
- How to prevent the spread of hives?
- Living with auto-immune diseases
- Genetic factors that affect the immunological system
- How immune disorders affect the body and what causes them?
- Allergies – a mild irritant, or a sign of a big immune disorder?
- Is DNA modification in humans in order to remove immune disorders acceptable?
- How does stress affect the immunological system?
- How do vaccines strengthen the immune response?
- The perception of vaccines in society
- Why do some people refuse vaccines and put others around them in danger?
Cell Biology Research Topics
- The structure of an animal cell
- The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. What does it mean?
- Different types of cells in the body and their functions
- How do red blood cells transport oxygen?
- How do white blood cells fight diseases?
- How are plant cells different from animal cells?
- What if animals could photosynthesize just like plants?
- How do single-celled organisms work?
- What is cell division and how does it work?
- Bacteria and how they invade the body
- Viruses – alive or not?
- How do fungi reproduce and spread?
- What are cancer cells and why are they so dangerous?
- How do we kill cancer cells?
- Stem cells and their potential
DNA Research Topics
- The structure of the human DNA
- The main components of a DNA chain
- Why does dna have a double-helix spiral structure?
- The purpose of chromosomes
- What is MRNA and how is it related to DNA?
- Do single-celled organisms have DNA?
- Do viruses have DNA?
- What happens if you have too many or too few chromosomes?
- Analyzing the structure of DNA using computers
- Uses for the DNA of extinct organisms like mammoths and dinosaurs
- Storing non-genetic information in DNA
- Can you write a computer program into human DNA?
- How does radiation affect DNA?
- Modifying DNA to treat aids
- Can we fight cancer through DNA modification?
Molecular Biology Research Topics
- The structure and components of a gene
- How do molecules move in and out of a cell?
- The basic building blocks of life
- How are drugs designed for humans?
- How is a vaccine designed to target a specific disease?
- Dominant genes vs recessive genes
- Prion disease – why is it so dangerous?
- Hormones and their function in the body
- Developing artificial hormones from other animals
- How to carry out a western blot?
- Testing and analysing DNA using PCR
- The three-dimensional structure of a molecule
- What is DNA transcription and how is it used?
- The structure of a prion
- What is the central dogma of molecular biology?
Neurobiology Research Topics
- An overview of the Nervous system
- The shape of a Neuron and how it is different from other cells
- What is the maximum reaction speed in a human?
- Is it possible to improve reaction speed?
- Organic Farming Neurobiology Research
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Why do we feel happy or sad?
- Headaches explained by Neurobiology
- Neurobiological degeneration due to old age
- Is it possible to fix Amnesia?
- Causes and Consequences of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Therapy to fix Spinal Cord injuries
- Causes of Narcolepsy and Insomnia
- The Relationship between Mental Health and Neurobiology
- How are emotions formed in the brain?
Abortion, Human cloning, Genetic Researches
- Is Abortion ethical? Should it be legal?
- Safe abortion
- Human cloning – reality vs science-fiction
- The goals of cloning humans
- Is human cloning and transplantation ethical?
- Is it ethical to have a ‘perfect child’ through gene therapy on a fetus?
- Should we remove undesirable traits using gene therapy on a fetus?
- Advantages and disadvantages of gene therapy
- How gene therapy can help beat cancer
- How gene therapy can eliminate diabetes
- Gene editing using CRISPR
- DNA modifications in humans to enhance our abilities – an ethical dilemma
- Will expensive gene therapy widen the gap between the rich and poor?
- Cloning can chantrue ge medicine – or false?
- The disadvantages of cloning
Environmental and Ecology Topics for Your Research
- The theory of evolution
- How does natural selection work?
- The adaptation of living organisms to their environment
- Divergent and convergent evolution
- Building a sustainable environment
- Development of environment-friendly cities
- Controlling population growth
- The importance of recycling resources
- Plastic and the environment
- Deforestation and its effects
- The consequences of losing biodiversity
- Is it possible to reverse ecological damage?
- GMOs and their effect on ecology
- The ecological consequences of cloning endangered or extinct species
- How climate change is disrupting ecologies
Plant Pathology Biology Research Topics
- How do plants combat diseases?
- The importance of disease resistance in plants
- How do plant diseases spread?
- The banana pandemic
- Herbicides and their effect on other plants
- Corn blight
- Can any plant diseases affect humans?
- Stem rust and its effects on wheat
- Targeting invasive plants and weeds with diseases
- Do fertilizers affect plant disease?
- Genetic components of a plant disease
- Are ecological changes making plant diseases worse?
- The impact of plant diseases on food production
- Fungal vs viral diseases in plants
- The sweet potato virus
Animals Biology Research Topics
- Classification of animals
- The evolution of land-based life
- Is it ethical to keep animals as pets?
- The ethics of testing drugs and products on animals
- Nature reserves versus zoos
- Why did prehistoric aquatic animals grow so big?
- Can all animals become vegan?
- Social behavior in animals
- Primate behavior
- How intelligent can other primates be?
- How intelligent can wolves and dogs be?
- Domesticating animals
- Hibernation in animals
- Why animals migrate
- Should we bring back extinct animals?
Marine Biology Research Topics
- How acidification affects aquatic environments
- Evolution in the deep sea
- Camouflage mechanism in sea life
- Consequences of oil spills on marine life
- Oldest marine species
- How do whales communicate with each other?
- How blind fish navigate
- Are marine shows and aquariums ethical?
- The biology and life cycle of seabirds
- How jellyfish are immortal
- Plankton ecology
- Difference between freshwater and seawater marine life
- Coral reefs – why are they important and how are they formed?
- Saving and restoring coral reefs
- Life in the deep-sea ocean trenches
The world of science and biology is vast and this can make research tedious. There are a million interesting topics out there suitable for research. However, you should spend a fair amount of time looking for the appropriate research topic. This allows you to research without excessive stress.
Use our list of interesting science topics to write your own paper. However, even with a brilliant topic, it is still hard to prepare a high-quality biology research paper and not all college students can do it. Do you feel like you need some help? Then buy biology paper from our expert writers! Our educated experts will choose the best biology topics for a research paper and can write top-level papers within the shortest time!