An abstract for any kind of academic paper is needed to explain the main points of your research. There are many frameworks on the Internet on how to write it and helpful advice. It can also be clarified by your professors or tutors, who will review the work afterward.
After reading this article, you will be able to prepare an abstract section for a research paper and find out how to include only necessary information about your research, as well as the objectives, methods, results, and conclusions. So, how to write an abstract for a research paper? Let’s find it out.
What is an Abstract?
The abstract section of a research paper is the concentrated digest of the entire work. The abstract section should be written according to the formal rules described below.
In fact, one of the main tasks of the abstract is to get people interested in the paper. In the abstract, it is necessary to select strong theses that hide something to force the reader to read the whole article. As a rule, they hide the results and focus on the methodology and conclusions. When a scientist finds an abstract that explains all the main steps of a study, especially the results, he feels happy that he can make a quick decision about the article without reading it completely. But when the abstract doesn't reveal the results, the scientist is obliged to read the whole paper.
The Abstract Section of a Research Paper
There are standard requirements for written works, one of which is the presence of an abstract. This is a kind of essay that briefly and comprehensively characterizes the main ideas of the paper. The subtleties of composition depend on the type of research and the requirements of a specific educational institution (they may differ), but the essence is the same. Let’s try to understand how to write an effective abstract for a research paper.
The abstract must include three blocks of information:
- introductory – information about the title and topic of the work;
- informative – structure, scope, description of novelty, goals, subject, object, the relevance of research;
- summarizing - conclusions and recommendations of the study, a description of the areas of practical application, and reasons why it is valuable and vital.
When forming the material and looking for information to compile the document, the author should not forget about its small volume, in which the uniqueness of the project must be proven. One should raise interest in the work and confirm the relevance of the considered tasks and goals. Clarity of the structure and brevity of data presentation is required. Let's dive into the details of every part of the abstract section.
Title and Author Information
The official beginning of your abstract should include the title and author information. To conduct a study, you should write an essay and a conspectus for your inquest. The author's information should be up to date and contain the author's achievements. You should pay attention to the technical requirements, such as capitalized letters and font. The title should attract the attention of the reader. Therefore, it has to be engaging.
Start the introduction with the facts of the analysis. You should explain the importance of the problem and your authentic way of finding the solution. The first introduction sentence must attract the reader's attention.
A brief representation of the results is the obligatory part of the abstract. Mention the most critical results you obtained during the research. However, try to put ideas, not the whole research process.
Besides, you should formulate the conclusions of your text in the synopsis in a few sentences. This could be just a thesis without an explanation.
You can also use the popular framework known as IMRAD structure to write an abstract for a research paper. This is almost the same as we described, just easier to remember and follow. Each letter stands for a specific paragraph of the abstract. Four main sections are provided - introduction, methods, results, analysis, and discussion. Let's dwell on each of these elements in more detail.
Just like we stated before: describe the topic, the main trends, and problems of the area, the information that needs to be disclosed to cover the problem fully is indicated, and the result is predicted.
This section presents a methodology in a clear and detailed manner. It is necessary to describe only the methods without moving to the discussion.
The results block involves the author demonstrating the results achieved as a result of the research. Specific analysis is not affected. Thematic conclusions are formed, and the data from the obtained results are demonstrated. Visualization elements such as graphic materials and illustrations are used for clarity.
This block analyzes the research in detail, evaluates the results in terms of importance and reliability, and characterizes the nuances and details that can be useful to scientists in their work. An important nuance is an inadmissibility of formulating conclusions that are not foreseen and not determined by the results of the scientific article.
The block with discussions on the degree of informativeness and significance is of key importance. Important nuances of a scientific article are argued here, with the help of which the result becomes available to scientists. The author informs what new knowledge the industry has acquired, the perspectives of their use, and what aspects should be paid special attention to.
- Start writing the abstract when the diploma is ready. So there is no chance of missing the main thing.
- Don't try to copy and paste the introduction and conclusion. This is not the correct format. You need an explanation of the essence in your own words. The task is to tell the reader what, how, and why to be interested.
- Follow scientific style. The journalistic style, or even elements of artistic style, are unacceptable.
- Present thoughts logically and consistently. Paragraphs should be consistent in terms of content, flow from each other and form a general concept. Just a competent set of arguments is not suitable.
- Check your spelling and grammar. It is important. The abstract is the first thing the board reads.
- Do not forget about uniqueness. This is the first requirement for scientific and student works, including such small fragments.
- Highlight keywords. The abstract language should contain keywords and phrases. After you have written your work, it is important to highlight the most relevant words by which your work can be found online and add them to the abstract. This will help during indexing to find and cite the work more easily in the future.
Everyone who has ever faced the question: How do you write an abstract for a research paper should familiarize themselves with the following abstract types:
- In the short version. The size of this document may well not exceed half of a standard sheet. It is often enough to describe the research methodology and indicate the goals that were set.
- In the extended version. In this case, the document size should be from 1-2 to 3-4 sheets. Here you should indicate the main information and your own feedback about all the essential and significant points in the conducted research. It is also necessary to indicate the key stages of the research and give well-founded conclusions.
How to Write an Abstract Page for a Research Paper?
Try to represent the information about your research briefly and accurately. To create an excellent impression of your paper, it is important to compose an abstract properly. To develop an effective abstract, follow these three steps:
This is evident but a very paramount requirement. If your work is weak, there is nothing to add to the abstract.
2. Identify the main points
If you have written your assignment, you should look through it and find all the key points. This is a very useful trick. Simply write down all the facts, so it will be easier to make a summary of your essay.
3. Write a draft
It would help if you started writing a draft as soon as possible. You will want to be able to change some sentences in your synopsis after some time has passed. You should explain the main concept about the importance of your work, its objective, materials and methods used, and results and conclusions in a few hundred words. In any case, you can order a term paper for sale at a custom writing service.
The relevance of the research paper should be revealed in the abstract; it is the main task of this section. The document should be distinguished by brevity and clarity of presentation of opinion. But there may be difficulties here. Therefore, it is worth distracting yourself after writing the first version and rereading the text after.
What to pay attention to when reading?
- Complex sentences, where they are unnecessary. They can usually be shortened or broken into several sentences,
- Repetition of thoughts,
- Connectivity of blocks,
- The logic of the presentation,
- Importance of the highlighted facts. Often, the author tries to fit goals and related tasks into one accompanying note. Only the basic theses are essential for the abstract. And the introduction will tell about the others.
It may seem that the document turned out to be dry, strictly scientific, and blocky. This is considered normal when writing an abstract for a thesis.
Research Paper Abstract Example
If you get the main idea about writing the abstract, you will be able to answer the question: How do I write an abstract for a research paper?