Good Argumentative Essay Topics for Students
Table of contents
- 1 Let’s Understand an Argumentative Essay
- 2 9 Helpful Tips for Choosing an Argumentative Topic
- 3 Argumentative Essay Topics About Society & Culture
- 4 Controversial Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- 5 Great Argumentative Essay Topics about History
- 6 Argumentative Essay Topics about Family Relations
- 7 Argumentative Essay Topics about Education
- 8 Technology & Computer Science Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- 9 Government Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- 10 Criminal Justice & Criminology Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- 11 Social Studies Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- 12 Debatable Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- 13 Psychology Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- 14 Medical Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- 15 American History Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- 16 Philosophy Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- 17 Interesting Argumentative Essay Topics about Social Media
- 18 Creative Argumentative Essay Topics about Art
- 19 Argumentative Essay Topics about Politics
- 20 Sports Argumentative Essay Topics to Research
- 21 Argumentative Essay Topics about Economics
- 22 Argumentative Essay Topics about Health
- 23 Your Take Away
The unique argumentative essay topics can spark readers’ interest and provide ample room for persuasion. This is because argumentative essays turn theories into facts and give a valid argument based on evidence.
They show that the writer has spent a considerable amount of time developing the argument position. People experienced in writing these essays often develop their own rules to follow.
In the end, readers form their own opinions or arguments. These essays can help students understand different subjects through research.
The validity relies heavily on the material. Hence, simple issues need a much more straightforward approach. Nevertheless, you’re dealing with a more controversial topic. You have to use many resources to back up your arguments and claims.
This brief guide will discuss an argumentative essay and share some important tips for writing such essays effectively. At Papers Owl, we understand the importance of compiling a compelling argumentative essay, so we are here to provide you with some useful advice. We will also share a host of different topics you can write about with us to create a compelling essay easily. Let’s begin with our discussion and get started on creating a great argumentative essay.
Let’s Understand an Argumentative Essay
An essay is a kind of academic paper that can introduce different claims regarding both sides of a particular topic. Both sides can balance one if they can dominate. In contrast, the tone of the content will be based on the writer’s authority on that particular subject.
The objective here is to convince the readers to change their opinion if they have a different one than the writers. So, you can always hire an argumentative essay writing service.
Now, there are three different models that you can follow when writing these argumentative essays.
- Toulmin model
This essay will contain an introduction featuring the thesis statement, followed by background info fully backed up with evidence from different resources. The essay writer has to list the reasons for supporting the main argument and rebuttals.
- Rogerian model
This argumentative essay model has to weigh both sides of the topic and list down the pros and cons of each. Then, it provides some advice after evaluating each side and in-depth assessment.
- Classical model
In this model, the writer has to introduce a topic and provide a personal solution. It is to be done with your persuasive writing to inform readers that this solution is the best. The objective is to make the readers think and spark inspiration about the topic.
How to pick a good topic for your argumentative essay is critical. It might seem that finding the best topic for the essay is something like finding a needle in a haystack, but that is not the case. You can easily choose the right topic for your essay. However, you have to make an outline based on credible sources and follow some core principles. You can also buy an argumentative essay of your choice on any topic.
Most controversial topics here are highly prone to prejudice. And in most cases, they have some unconscious aim to prove some pre-assumed facts.
So, when writing an essay, it is always critical to truly understand both sides of a topic. The best way is to pick a basic and neutral topic to which the writer has an indifferent opinion. For extra help, one can consult an academic advisor or get online essay assistance for guidance and support.
9 Helpful Tips for Choosing an Argumentative Topic
Here you can find plenty of argumentative essay tips that you can follow while choosing easy argumentative essay topics that you want to discuss in your writing:
- First, you must think about the subject matter that interests you. You need to have in-depth knowledge about the topic and whether you can develop an opinion about the topic.
- Consider your experience and how well you know a particular topic. You can always present your personal touch to the readers in your essay.
- You need to follow any recent trends regarding the topic. Type some keywords associated with your unique argumentative essay title in Google Trends and see what frequently discussed issues related to your topic.
- Make sure to avoid any themes with a more general or broader perspective. It is important because you have to stay on topic while writing, as it can be pretty easy to discuss some off-topic points. But it generally depends on how lengthy you want your essay to be.
- You can check your primary and secondary resources related to the topic. You can search the internet and see if you can find enough authentic resources for your essay.
- And stay away from emotionally driven topics because argumentative writing is about staying sober and calm with judgments.
- Don’t forget about your target audience. Will they accept your opinion, or will your essay spark another debate?
- Make sure to find a fun topic, brainstorm, and finalize your list of ideas. You can discuss the list of final topics with your mentors and choose the argument that the majority will vote for.
- Choosing a debatable subject can be risky, but it will work best if you can prove your authority on it with related articles and homework.
Argumentative Essay Topics About Society & Culture
One of the best subjects for your argumentative writing is society and culture. Most people spend their lives based on their moral code. It can be based on individual interests, philosophy, religion, experiences, etc. But everyone has a moral value.
Here is a list of unique argumentative essay topics for college that you can choose based on the subject of society and culture.
- Racial discrimination: analyzing ethnicity and racism
- Career path
- Age limit to teen driving
- Discrimination against the LGBTQ community
- Healthcare: Is it a fundamental human right?
- Television programmers must produce popular family-friendly content as an obligation; should any explicit content be censored?
- Social media has the power to get us together and can pull us apart; do the pros outweigh the cons, or is it the other way around?
- Gap years are they a precious time to explore and reflect, or are they a vacation period to get some good rest from the hectic life?
- Some states are decriminalizing marijuana and some other drugs; is it a good decision?
- Equality for all is essential to lawmaking, but is it a part of practice?
- The US Gun Law: The right to self-defense and the right to be exploited.
- Terminal illness: Can someone request medically assisted suicide?
- Smoking: Should it be banned entirely?
- The best ways to encourage productive conversions on contentious issues.
Controversial Argumentative Research Paper Topics
Here are some research paper topics that are controversial. What this means, in general, is that there are a lot of readers who have a stand on the topic. For instance, some will approve of it, while others will believe that things should be banned. These are also the most interesting issues of them all, and you can see countless topics and related papers that are very popular and appealing.
- Sexism in the workplace among minority women
- Homeschooling is a disadvantage for students
- Understanding gun violence
- Donald Trump’s impact on the US economy
- Is Holocaust denial real?
- Should we accept and approve human cloning and use it for research or to help humankind?
- Can soldiers use torture during interrogation?
- Is free speech something that has rules and exemptions?
- Is capitalism the only effective and desirable system?
- Is increased gun control mandatory these days?
- Are electric cars the only reliable future?
- Should we allow gay couples to adopt children?
- Should people remove the death penalty completely?
- Are PC games dangerous and cause violent behavior?
- Should the law control abortion or not?
Great Argumentative Essay Topics about History
If you enjoy studying history, there are tons of different history argumentative essay topics that you can write on. Here are a few to get you started.
- The Civil War is central
- Olaudah Equiano’s argument against slavery was his life experience
- Does the Civil Rights Movement have an effect on the way minorities are treated by authorities?
- One of the most important events
- Julius Caesar in history
- “You should learn from the”past”—sometimes there are home patterns in history; do you think history does repeat itself?
- Did the US Civil War bring the country together or pull it apart?
- Thomas Jefferson did make some significant contributions to the founding of the US, but he didn’t live a perfect life – was he a hero?
- Do our modern perspectives and opinions alter the truth of what went down during the significant historical event?
- Did immigrants and other lower socio-economic groups and classes have opportunities in the US during that period (choose the past decade for the topic)?
- World War I & the US – The US was reluctant to join, and when they did, many US soldiers lost their lives – was it a necessary war for us?
- Native Americans & their treatment: How does it leave a moral stain on the US?
- Slavery was fundamental for American colonies and the US; How did this injustice alter the country?
- Reasons behind the rise of Nazism in Germany & the Holocaust: How can these horrors be avoided in the future?
- The European plague & the decimation of the continent’s population: How did it alter history, and what was its greatest impact?
Argumentative Essay Topics about Family Relations
Here are some interesting argumentative topics associated with the subject of family relations.
- The impact of divorce on children
- Traditional gender roles in the family
- Same-sex parenting
- The role of extended family in child development
- Discussing the challenges and resolution strategies for conflicts
- Should mothers stay at home with their children for their best upbringing?
- Do distance relationships work?
- How can bullying and divorce be prevented?
- Can kids recover from the divorce of their parents?
- Is teenage marriage a good idea?
- Should a pregnant teenager keep the baby?
- Domestic violence and teenagers.
- House chores and their distribution in the family.
- Should family members do sports together?
- Are mature and older people better parents?
Argumentative Essay Topics about Education
When it comes to education, you need to write a lot about it. There are countless examples. These papers are some of the most commonly used and have a huge role. The goal here is to help students and teachers understand a specific idea better and even try to improve education. We have countless examples that are specially designed for high school. Others are only ideal for college. If you ever wrote a sociology research paper you may have touched on some of these ideas, and you probably know more about them than you may believe. Anyway, here are 10 examples that we like, are very appealing, and can help you more than you can imagine.
- Creativity is a skill that is necessary for education
- Ways of improving our education system in its entirety
- Career path
- Advantages of digital textbooks
- Equality and segregation in the Los Angeles School District
- Should parents actively participate in child education?
- Grading systems shouldn’t be used for judging any student’s abilities.
- Should students wear a uniform while attending high school?
- The role of technology in the educational system.
- Should programming be compulsory for all students?
- Pros & cons of studying in a single-sex class vs. mixed one.
- Should all students learn a foreign language?
- Should students be allowed sex education at school?
- Girls should be given an equal opportunity to participate in school sports.
- Should schools possess the right to drug test their students?
Technology & Computer Science Argumentative Research Paper Topics
Here are some technology argumentative essay topics that are related to computers and technology. Whether exploring the ethical dimensions of artificial intelligence, the societal impacts of emerging technologies, or the practical challenges in cybersecurity, these topics aim to stimulate critical thinking and inspire innovative solutions in the world of technology and computer science.
- Advantages of digital textbooks
- Artificial intelligence and job automation
- The influence of technology on education
- Online privacy and data security
- Virtual reality and its impact on society
- Smartphones – a blessing or a menace?
- Has technology facilitated us or made us lazier?
- Do millennials overly depend on computers compared to baby boomers?
- Should students learn coding from middle school?
- Is Watson the cognitive computer and the like unethical?
- Microwave tech – how does it facilitate our lives, and how does it impact our biology?
- Should the candidates’ social media profiles also be considered during the hiring process?
- Should children have their mobile phones?
- Self-driving cars – a blessing or a curse in the future of transportation?
- Is our future in the hands of AI?
Government Argumentative Research Paper Topics
These ideas can be very confusing and complicated. This is because they touch the government, the way of life, institutions, and politics in general. You need to have a strong point of view when writing these argumentative essays. Your argumentative paper needs to be written from your perspective and answer the main question. In a nutshell, you will discuss something related to how the country works and whether we are going forward or backward.
- The turning point of public education for African Americans
- Were Andrew Jackson’s policies “good for the economy”?
- Despite legislation for equal opportunities
- Discrimination against the LGBTQ community
- People’s lives have become increasingly reliant on digital media
- Are leaders taking us in the right direction?
- Should the minimum wage be increased?
- Why do many people consider the US to be the best country in the world?
- Are veterans being paid sufficiently?
- Why is the first lady so important these days?
- Are immigrants causing a lot of problems for the country?
- Why voting system we use now is failing?
- Is it moral to spy on other countries?
- How to spend a budget for one city well?
- Why is national security more important than our privacy?
Criminal Justice & Criminology Argumentative Research Paper Topics
These are special research topics and some that will help you if you want to study law. Let’s just say that if you are studying law, you will have to write a lot about this. Keep in mind that criminology will investigate why a crime happens, the cost, effects, and similar aspects. On the other hand, criminal justice is developed to deal with criminals. Your paper structure must be advanced and must provide all the latest and issue-related data you can find. Here are 10 ideas that we really like.
- Police brutality and racial stereotypes
- Police brutality – prevalent problem in American society
- Racial profiling and policing
- Prison overcrowding
- Gun control laws and public safety
- Using culture to explain crime
- Crime rates and criminal advancement in a city
- Dawn data collection: how does it work?
- Convict criminology benefits
- Postmodern criminology: main issues
- Which role does media have in criminology?
- Social media as a new place for criminals
- History of the criminal justice
- The nature of criminal behavior explained
- Ages and crime links explained
Social Studies Argumentative Research Paper Topics
Without a better word, here we can see topics and issues based on society and the world in general. You will have to explain something related to society and try to prove that it is beneficial or you are against that. The topics here are all fun and can be simple if you have the ability to choose the one you like. The research topic should include as much data and actual research if possible.
- Unauthorized immigrants in the United States
- American population and illegal immigration
- Massive influx of Illegal immigrants in the USA
- Is illegal immigration good for our country?
- Prejudice towards illegal immigrants
- Is monarchy beneficial?
- Is democracy the only system we need?
- Pros and cons of capitalism
- Major resources of the United States
- Personal identity elements
- Americanization or globalization
- What causes mass consumption?
- Should voting be mandatory?
- Communication technologies and politics link
- Why is cultural diversity so important in the workplace?
Debatable Argumentative Research Paper Topics
Yes, we also have great debatable topics for research papers that you will like. These ones are a bit special. For the lack of a better word, they can have two sides. You can be for or against a specific thing. You can also see that some of these are complicated to explain and have severe complexity. You need to have a strong argument and keep it strong as long as possible. Hopefully, these 10 ideas will help you and can even direct you in the right direction.
- Jehovah’s witnesses during the holocaust
- The Civil War is central
- The role of nationalism in modern history
- Abraham Lincoln as the great emancipator
- To what extent did Adolf Hitler change the course of history
- Is euthanasia something we need to approve?
- Why unpaid internships are a huge problem for humankind
- Should we use the death penalty all over the country?
- Is true gender equality something that we can make it work?
- Should we allow older people to vote still?
- Is universal healthcare something that should be mandatory?
- How will increased salary be more beneficial for the country?
- Cancel culture: pros and cons
- Who caused global poverty?
- Should we grow human organs in the lab?
Psychology Argumentative Research Paper Topics
These essays are all about two things. They are usually about the things that affect our minds and our mental health. Secondly, they are about psychology and are more focused on what we can do to prevent or sort them out. For some of you, there are countless issues, and we will try to give you a few very appealing examples today.
- Nature vs. nurture
- The effects of violent video games on aggression
- Mental health stigma
- The role of childhood trauma in adult mental health
- The validity and reliability of personality tests
- How social media affects our mental health?
- Is screen time causing depression?
- Are lie detectors accurate?
- Is positive thinking that important?
- Can anxiety help us?
- Is hypnosis an effective method?
- Why more and more people are depressed?
- Is this world causing too much stress for us?
- Meaning of dreams explained
- Should therapists call the police if they are planning or you broke the law?
Medical Argumentative Research Paper Topics
As you can assume here, you will need to write about health, medicine in general, and all the related things. The goal is to stay focused on the medicine or the overall health while writing and providing facts that approve your claim. It is very interesting and can be the best topic for some of you.
- Ethical considerations in organ transplantation
- Mental health care accessibility
- The ethics of human cloning
- Genetic testing and privacy
- Physician-assisted suicide
- GMO: bad or good?
- Should we limit the sugar level in all beverages?
- Is the nursing profession in the US more suitable for women than men?
- Do nurses have a low salary today?
- How should we fight obesity?
- Should we allow nurses to prescribe drugs to patients?
- Can parents deny treatment their child needs?
- Is healthcare something we all need?
- Should we ban doctors from promoting medications?
- Is assisted suicide something we should legalize?
American History Argumentative Research Paper Topics
If you like these ideas, you are a lucky person. They are very common, and you will probably have to complete countless of them during your education. Keep in mind that here we are referring to the history that occurred or affects the US in some way. We are not referring to global history, as you can see.
- Abraham Lincoln and his opponent
- One of the most important events
- The deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group
- Civil War was the westward
- African American distress and misery in the beginning
- Who was the best president in US history, and why?
- How does the assassination of Abraham Lincoln affect reconstruction?
- Is the Constitution a proslavery document?
- Were we able to avoid the Civil War?
- Do nuclear weapons make the world safer or not?
- Should the US join World War II sooner?
- Was the Declaration of Independence a true declaration of war?
- Who were the founding fathers of the US?
- The cost of WWII to the us economy
- Origin of the United States
Philosophy Argumentative Research Paper Topics
If you like philosophers, you are going to like these ideas. There are many of them, but these are common and ideal for most of you. You will explore something invisible that affects humans and humankind more than you can imagine. You can explain some topics in detail and use your own opinion to do that.
- The existence of god
- Ethics of animal rights
- Free will vs. determinism
- The mind-body problem
- Ethical considerations in artificial intelligence
- Are people bad or good?
- Is freedom a myth?
- Will faith in God change you?
- Ethical egoism: for and against
- Are moral facts real?
- The link between science and faith
- Should we allow personal drug use?
- Is cloning an ethical thing to do?
- Should we all be honest all the time?
- Are zoos and circuses ethical?
Interesting Argumentative Essay Topics about Social Media
Social media, a cornerstone of modern communication, presents rich ground for argumentative essays. The influence of these platforms extends beyond personal interactions, deeply impacting societal norms, politics, business strategies, and individual psychology. This collection of interesting argumentative essay topics about social media is designed to spark insightful debates and critical analyses.
- Influence of social media on youth
- Examining the impact of social media use on psychological well-being
- Fake news and disinformation on social media
- Assessing the role and influence of influencers in shaping consumer behavior
- Social media and political manipulation
- Does LinkedIn help people land jobs?
- Celebrity endorsements – are they unethical?
- Has social media devastated real-life communication?
- Has social media made doing business easier?
- Blogging is not a profession, or is it?
- Social media and how it depicts beauty standards?
- Social media and the inferiority complex among teenagers?
- Privacy concerns in the digital age
- Social media and political activism
- Is love via Instagram possible?
- Do social platforms cause anxiety?
- The role of Twitter in education
- Should the police have access to your Instagram account?
Creative Argumentative Essay Topics about Art
Here is a list of creative argumentative essay topics on art.
- Disney World accommodation tips and tricks
- The Renaissance period during the 1400s in Florence, Italy
- Race and public art
- Disney’s acquisition of marvel
- The Value of Street Art
- Is music a real art?
- Most of the artists of modern times are 1-hit wonders.
- Should schools need to have art courses?
- Is graffiti a kind of art?
- Should Banksy be considered an artist?
- Is it okay to display art in public places?
- Should modern art be considered timeless?
- Should society support aspiring artists?
- How important is arts education?
- Can commercials be considered good works of art?
Argumentative Essay Topics about Politics
Some of the best political science argumentative essay topics for argumentative writing on politics are as follows.
- Isolationism in the United States
- Should the US Constitution be amended to state that corporations are not persons?
- The Role of Money in Politics
- Electoral College vs. Popular Vote
- The Role of Media in Politics
- Political leaders and their moral obligations.
- Which US political party has the right ideology? (the country can be changed).
- Income inequality – what can be done to reduce it?
- The Current US Deficit – Is paying it down the essential matter of modern times?
- Does printing more money create an unsustainable bubble?
- Pros and cons of capitalism.
- Pros and cons of socialism.
- Is the US ready for a female president?
- What modern political decision has been the most significant social-economic catalyst?
- Does campaign finance reform work?
Sports Argumentative Essay Topics to Research
For some of you, these are the best papers in the world. You all like sports, so writing about one is probably something you will want to do. There are countless issues you can cover here, and as such, we can see a lot of topics. For lack of a better word, you will write about sports or something that is related to sports. There are countless examples, and most students will write a paper or two on this topic at some point. Keep in mind that you must have a main point, and you must justify the claim using data and facts. You can’t use your opinion only in this type of paper. Here are 10 topics that you will enjoy writing on.
- The impact of performance-enhancing drugs in professional sports
- Pay gap in professional sports
- The role of sports in promoting youth development
- The effects of contact sports on brain health
- Should college athletes be paid?
- Should all coaches make as much money as athletes?
- Are pro athletes role models?
- Should athletes be punished for not standing still during the national anthem?
- Is rugby an extremely dangerous sport?
- How does sports betting differ from online casino gambling?
- Are sports too much affected by computer prediction?
- Should we allow the use of drugs that can boost the performance of athletes?
- Should sports events be allowed during the pandemic?
- Are cheerleaders athletes as well?
- Should humans invent new Olympic sports?
Argumentative Essay Topics about Economics
Following is a list of some of the best real-life argumentative essay topics.
- Arguments arise when discussing international trade
- Recycling should be mandatory
- Divergent marxism
- Government Intervention in the Economy
- Universal basic income
- Is free trade beneficial for developing countries?
- Is it economically justified to set a minimum wage?
- Economic sanctions on other countries, and how do they benefit local companies?
- Pros and cons of immigration and the country’s economy.
- Social benefits and their true efficacy in poverty eradication.
- Should the prices of necessities be regulated?
- The impact of high obesity rates on the national economy.
- Should unemployed people be financed for their businesses?
- Market regulation in the 21st century.
- Does climate change positively impact an economy?
Argumentative Essay Topics about Health
Following are some healthcare argumentative essay topics for high school students.
- Abortion: Exploring both sides of the debate
- The arguments against euthanasia
- Drug abuse – destructive pattern
- Arguments for legalizing euthanasia
- Children vaccination
- Should females over 40 be eligible to receive IVF treatment?
- Is there a link between child obesity and processed foods?
- Is there a connection between fashion and teenage girl anorexia?
- Are low-carb diets healthy?
- Is stress related to cancer in any way?
- Vegetarianism – Is it healthy?
- Can type-2 diabetes be cured with lifestyle changes?
- Can increasing the prices of unhealthy foods helps in reducing obesity?
- If smoking is unhealthy, why is it still legal?
- How effective is Intrinsic motivation in addiction treatment?
Your Take Away
There are many topics for argumentative essays on different subjects. But no matter what you do, you have to present your views in favor of and against the topic. Otherwise, your argumentative essay will lose its true essence.
Writing with your personal authority on a topic makes you an expert. Still, you can do some research to identify plenty of authentic platforms in favor and opposition of the topic to write on the best argumentative essay topics. By assessing these resources, you can present your views and opinions. Writing an essay can be daunting, especially when you have a lot of other obligations on your plate. It can be time-consuming and overwhelming, especially if you don’t have the necessary skills or knowledge. Fortunately, there are now services available online that allow you to pay for your essay. With these services, you can be sure that your essay will be of the highest quality, and you can focus on other tasks without feeling overwhelmed.