Writing a sociology research paper is mandatory in many universities and school classes, where students must properly present a relevant topic chosen with supporting evidence, exhaustive research, and new ways of understanding or explaining some author’s ideas. This type of paper is very common among political science majors and classes but can be assigned to almost every subject.
Learn about the key elements of a sociological paper and how to write an excellent piece
Sociology papers require a certain structure and format to introduce the topic and key points of the research according to academic requirements. For those students struggling with this type of assignment, the following article will share some light about how to write sociology research paper and create a sociology research paper outline, among other crucial points that must be addressed to design and write an outstanding piece.
With useful data about this common research paper, including topic ideas and a detailed outline, this guide will come in handy for all students and writers in need of writing an academic-worthy sociology paper.
What Is A Sociology Research Paper?
A sociology research paper is a specially written composition that showcases the writer’s knowledge on one or more sociology topics. Writing in sociology requires a certain level of knowledge and skills, such as critical thinking and cohesive writing, to be worthy of great academic recognition.
Furthermore, writing sociology papers have to be done following a type of structure to make sure the hypothesis and the rest of the ideas introduced in the research can be properly read and understood by teachers, peers, and readers in general.
Sociology research papers are commonly written following the format used on reports and are based on interviews, data, and text analysis. Writing a sociology paper requires students to perform unique research on a relevant topic (including the appropriate bibliography and different sources used such as books, websites, scientific journals, etc), test a question or hypothesis that the paper will try to prove or deny, compare different sociologist’s points of view and how/why they state certain sayings and data, among other critical points.
A research paper in sociology also needs to apply the topic on current events, at least in some parts of the piece, in which writers must apply the theory to today’s scenarios. In addition to this, sociology research requires students to perform some kind of field research such as interviews, observational and participant research, and others.
After explaining what this type of paper consists of, it is time to dive into one of the most searched questions online, “what format are sociology papers written in?”. Below you can find a detailed paragraph with all the information necessary.
Sociology Paper Format
A sociology paper format follows some standard requirements that can be seen on other types of papers as well. The format commonly used in college and other academic institutions consists of an appropriate citation style, which many professors ask for the traditional APA format but others can also require students to write in ASA style (very similar to APA and the main difference is how you write the author’s name).
The citation is one of the major parts of any sociological research paper that needs to be understood perfectly and used according to the rules established by it. Failing to present a cohesive and correct citing format is very likely to cause the failure of the assignment.
As for the visual part of the paper, a neat and professional font is called for, and generally, the standard sociology paper outline is written in Times New Roman font (12pt and double spaced) with at least 1 inch of margin on both sides. If your professor did not specify which sociology format to use, it is safe to say that this one will be just fine for your delivery.
Sociology papers have a specific structure just like other research pieces, which consist of an introduction, a body with respective paragraphs for each new idea, and a conclusion. In the point below you can find a detailed sociology research paper outline to help you write your statement as smoothly and professionally as possible.
Structure of the Sociology Paper
A traditional outline of a sociology research paper is based on a few key points that help present and develop the information and writer’s skills properly. Below you can find a sociology research paper outline to start designing your project according to the standard requirements.
- Introduction. In this first part, you should state the question or problem to be solved during the article. It is recommended to include a hypothesis and support the claim relevant to the field chosen.
- Literature review. Including the literature review is essential to a sociology research paper outline to present the authors and information used.
- Methodology. A traditional outline for a sociology research paper includes the methodology used, in which writers should explain how they approach their research and methods used. It gives credibility to their work and makes it more professional.
- Outcomes & findings. Sociological research papers must include, after the methodology, the outcomes and findings to provide readers with a glimpse of what your paper resulted in. Graphics and tables are highly encouraged to use on this part.
- Discussion. The discussion part of a sociological paper serves as an overall review of the research, how difficult it was and what can be improved.
- Conclusion. Finally, to close your sociology research paper outline it is important to briefly mention the results obtained and do the last paragraph with the writer’s final words on the topic.
- Bibliography. The bibliography should be the last page (or pages) included in the article but in different sheets than the paper (this means, if you finished your article in the middle of the page, the bibliography should start on a new separate one), in which sources must be cited according to the style chosen (APA, ASA, etc).
This sociology research paper outline serves as a great guide for those who want to properly present a sociological piece worthy of academic recognition. Furthermore, to achieve a good grade, it is essential to choose a great topic.
Below you can find some sociology paper topics to help you decide how to begin writing yours.
Possible Sociology Paper Topics
To present a quality piece, it is essential to choose a relevant topic inside the sociological field. Here you can find unique sociology research paper topics that will make a great presentation.
- Relationship Between Race and Class
- How Ethnicity Affects Education
- How Women Are Presented By The Media
- Sexuality And Television
- Youth And Technology: A Revision To Social Media
- Technology vs Food: Who Comes First?
- How The Cinema Encourages Unreachable Standards
- Adolescence And Sex
- How Men And Women Are Treated Different In The Workplace
- Anti-vaccination: A Civil Right Or Violation?
These sociology paper topics will serve as a starting point where students can conduct their own research and find their desired approach. Furthermore, these topics can be studied in various decades, which adds more value and data to the paper.
Writing a Great Sociology Research Paper Outline
If you’re searching how to write a sociology research paper this part will come in handy. A good sociology research paper must properly introduce the topic chosen while presenting supporting evidence, the methodology used and the sources investigated, and to reach this level of academic excellence the following information will provide a great starting point.
There are three main sociology research paper outlines that serve similar roles but differ in a few things. To begin, the traditional outline utilizes Roman numerals to itemize sections and formats the sub-headings with capital letters, later using Arabic numerals for the next layer. This one is great for those who already have an idea of what they’ll write about.
The second sample is called the post-draft outline, where writers mix both their innovative ideas and the actual paper’s outline. This second type of draft is ideal for those who have a few ideas semi-assembled that need to be developed around the main idea of the paper. Naturally, a student will end up finding its way through the research and structure the piece smoothly while writing it.
Lastly, the third type of outline is referred to as conceptual outline and serves as a visual representation of the text written. Similar to a conceptual map, this outline used big rectangles that include the key topics or headings of the paper, as well as circles that represent the sources used to support those headings. This one is perfect for those who need to visually see their paper assembled and it can also be used to see which ideas need further development or supporting evidence.
Furthermore, to write a great sociology paper the following tips will come of great help.
- Introduction. An eye-catching introduction calls for an unknown or relevant fact that captivates the reader’s attention. Apart from conducting excellent research, students worthy of the highest academic score are those able to present the information properly and in a way that the audience will be interested in reading.
- Body. The paragraphs presented must be written in an attractive way, to make readers want to know more. It is important to explain theories and add supporting evidence to back up your sayings and ideas; empirical data is highly recommended to be added to give the research paper more depth and physical recognition. A great method is to start a paragraph presenting an idea or theory, develop the paragraph with supporting evidence and close it with findings or results. This way readers can easily understand the idea and comprehend what you want to portray.
- Conclusion. For the conclusion, it is highly important to sum up the key points presented in the sociology research paper, and after doing so, professors always recommend adding further readings or suggested bibliography to help readers who are interested in continuing their education on the topic just read.
No matter the method you choose to plan out your sociological papers, you’ll need to cover a few bases of how to assemble your final draft. If you’re stuck on where to begin your work, you can always buy sociology research paper from professional writers. Many students go to the pros to shore up their grades and make time when deadlines become overwhelming. If you do it on your own, be sure to double check your assignment’s requirements and fit them into the following sections.
Sociology Research Paper Outline Example
The following sociology research paper example will serve as an excellent guide and template which students can customize to fit their topics and key points. The outline below will follow the topic previously mentioned in another section “How Women Are Presented By The Media”.
A. State the topic chosen. For example, “How Women Are Presented By The Media”
B. Gaps in the analysis. This part serves as a detailed point in which the writer states which gaps in their research were found while and after the paper was written.
C. Thesis statement on the portrayal of women by the media. This is where the main idea of the paper will be presented.
A. Case studies of women being portrayed in the media under men’s point of view
B. The perspective of women in the media
C. Challenges women face with inclusion, recognition, and respect
A. Results of inclusion and women’s rights movements
B. Improvement areas
C. Points the media should take to portray women differently
This sociology paper format written specifically with a topic related to women's portrayal by the media in mind can be used as a guide for writers and students that need a structure prior to writing anything. Students who structure their sociological paper before conducting in-depth research are more likely to succeed; this happens because it is easier and more efficient to research specific key points rather than diving into the topic without any idea of how to approach it or present the information, data, statistics, and others found.