What is an introduction paragraph of an essay?
One of the most important things in an academic essay is drafting the first paragraph correctly. The goal of the introduction is to interest the reader and attract his or her attention. Also, it’s a good way to set the tone of text that follows.
There is no absolute working and proper structure or format for your opening clause because you can write essays on many various topics and start them in many different ways. Nevertheless, the brightest papers include certain common features and widely accepted standards, and, if you pay attention to them, you may write your essay faster and better.
How To Write An Introduction Paragraph Of An Essay?
Usually, when you ask yourself – how is it possible to write my essay, how to begin an essay, and which thesis for a research paper to choose, you have to determine the main topic and goal of your paper. Start with a sentence that will catch the reader’s interest. However, keep in mind that it’s difficult to attract reader’s attention, especially, if your paper is aimed to impress a teacher or professor, who has already checked thousands of papers and can’t be surprised by some simple examples or boring introductions. If the first paragraph doesn’t make an impression, it will impact the whole essay. Therefore, it is very important to start the essay with a strong intro! Besides, if the intro is logically linked to the rest of the text, there is nothing wrong with using it as bait.
Try to start with a stunning description or a picture if it looks organically in your composition.
- For example, try to start an essay about your summer vacations in a way such as: “When I saw how the sun goes beyond the horizon and I heard a sound of the surf somewhere in the distance, I realized that I was in the calmest place on the earth”.
You also need to attach the main thesis in the intro. The very first sentences can attract the reader, but if you continue developing the main thesis bit by bit, it will help you keep the reader’s interest till the end of your text. You will need to put a couple phrases right after the first sentence in order to logically connect it with the whole text. Usually, these sentences continue the first phrase and let you develop your topic correctly. How do you do this?
- For example, if you write about obesity you can continue in this way: “Obesity among children is a serious problem that affects rich and poor countries” – this phrase can explain how important this problem is.
- A vacation’s essay can be continued like this: “I was in the real depths of the jungles somewhere around an African national park I felt like I had lost my head” – this sentence can describe the situation you write about and let the reader imagine the beautiful atmosphere of this place.
Tell the reader what your paper’s goal. Essays are not just descriptions of a situation or event, it is something more. The writer of the paper follows a certain goal – such work can be meant to change the reader’s opinion on a specific problem after reading some facts and results of real studies. An author also may want to convince the reader of something or just make a reader think about any problem or just a story that he reflected in the essay. You have to describe your goal in your essay's introduction. This helps the reader determine how to set his or her mind and what to expect. Also, when writing an introduction, do not forget about the role of humor and sarcasm in this paragraph, as they could help you to set the right mood for the whole text or can ruin everything if used incorrectly.
Introduction Paragraph Example
What should an introduction include? Here are a couple of essay introduction examples:
- “Being a crabber (I am not talking about a chronic complainer, but about a person who catches crabs) for my whole life, I can say with confidence that each of you can become a part of this if you have some patience and deep love for the sea. But, if you want your experience as a crabber to be successful, you have to prepare.”
- “I looked at myself at the age of 38 – no home or kids, divorced, all by myself in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean in this tiny boat. I hadn't had a chance to eat a hot meal for two months! I couldn’t talk to anyone because of the broken satellite phone. All oars are broken and somehow fixed with splints and duct tape, and I have sores from the saltwater on my back and tendinitis in my shoulders… but I have never been so happy.”
- “I received a unique opportunity to observe people’s behavior during my part-time job as a cashier; watching them, I often thought about those white lab rats – walking back and forth around this shop, following the same pattern every time, and then just exiting through the hatch. However, not all are the same. My observations helped me reveal several types of abnormal customers…”
Here you discovered something new about writing a good introduction paragraph of an essay. We hope that these tips and introduction paragraph examples were useful and you will accomplish your task with ease now. All of them are effective. However, sometimes it can be hard to perform everything all on your own and therefore, in order to accomplish it, many people consider turning to a professional essay writing service for college students, which is also a good option to consider!