Narrative essays are written and presented as stories. It is a good opportunity to share your experience, show your point of view on specific events in your life, and develop your storytelling skills. The popularity of this task explains why students of almost any faculty and course can be assigned to write and present a narrative essay on a specific topic.
It is not always easy to pick a good topic and story for such an essay. If you have not written a narrative essay before, you should read the work of other students to understand how to develop a structure, how to use your personal narrative ideas, and what topics you could use.
You have to understand that the topic is the basis on which you will develop all the sections of your essay and that is why you should give much consideration to your topic for a narrative essay to write a good paper and show that this topic really matters to you.
How To Choose A Topic For A Narrative Essay?
Write about things that have meaning to you. If you’re writing about things that you don’t care about, it will be almost impossible to create an engaging and high-quality story and it can also bore you while writing it.
Even if you don’t have a lot of experience in a specific field, you can find amazing stories that could be a basis for your paper or read narrative essay tips in our blog. What else can you talk about in your text? Recall episodes from your childhood, school, summer vacations, parties and holidays, hard decisions and how you had made them, personal hobbies, and student years. You can write about anything! If you already have experience working as an employee, you can also choose a narrative essay writing topics based on your working experience.
You should tell only the truth in your story. Good narrative topics are usually based on what has really happened to you, not some imaginary or changed stories and that is why you shouldn’t pick topics that refer to events that didn’t happen to you.
Find an example of a good topic of a narrative essay of other students. It doesn’t mean that you can copy them. It will, however, help you understand how your personal experiences and ideas can be converted into a top-notch paper. Some examples of ideas for personal narratives can inspire you and help you handle the task.
Other factors to consider, If one of your goals is to catch the attention of the students and teacher, your topic should be creative and original. It also should be written in a proper and understandable way. This way your readers will enjoy reading your story and other people, who have never heard of it, may also want to take a look at it. Try reading several dozens of headlines from the media to see which of them don’t grab you to read further and how other headlines interest you to read the whole story, and apply this knowledge to create a memorable paper.
Choose a topic that makes you write with passion! If you have strong emotions when you think of a specific episode that happened to you, you will be able to write a fascinating story and involve your readers and listeners into it.
Topic Ideas For A Personal Narrative Essay
Here are some essay topics that you can use for creating a great paper for school or college. They can come in handy to anyone who has no idea where to start! Choosing a topic from this list you can be confident in your success but do not forget to check the requirements given by your tutor to ensure that the selected topic is appropriate. To write a narrative essay, just take a look at this list:
- A memorable teacher.
- Starting a new job.
- The day you faced a natural disaster or helped other people who had such an experience
- The experience of little inventions made by you
- Losing or gaining faith
- A dangerous experience
- A conflict with another person
- The first journey to the countryside
- An experience that changed your behavior
- Funny episodes based on a misunderstanding or other issues
- A time people helped each other in a crisis.
- Episodes that changed your opinion about other people
- Episodes from a summer vacation in your childhood
- The experience of creating secret places or other things that refer to your childhood
- An experience that helped you to understand that parents or other people were right
- An experience when you overcame a fear of specific things
- An experience of losing your prejudiced views because of the behavior of other people
- A time when you’ve decided what your future job should be
- Funny episodes with much greater meaning
- The special moment when you got your first pet
- An embarrassing experience
- The first time when you faced a big storm or even a tornado
- An experience you had with a person who you didn’t like first, but who later became a good friend of yours
- A time when you got lost
- A sporting experience
- Experience of attending specific sports, music or political events
- A moment when people who you underestimated acted kindly or wisely
- How you faced episodes that touched the whole country
- Rebellion against parents or other people who you didn’t agree with
- Your childhood heroes and how they influenced your life
- A time when you realized that you were wrong about other people
- A moment when you realized the truth that was hidden from you
- A time when you realized that other people wanted to be like you
- Tell about a teacher who inspired you
- Tell about the most exciting experience related to the music you’ve had (a concert, party, discovering new style or artist, etc.)
- A situation when you got a present that you did not like on your birthday
- The most influential things that you had learned in your childhood
- A time when you changed your opinion about younger or older generations
- An episode that changed the relationship with your parents
- Moments when you faced racial and religious discrimination
- A situation when you called the police to help other people
- Experience of fighting procrastination
- The day when you became a leader
- The day when you realized that the world is bigger than you had thought
- School lessons that had the biggest influence on your behavior
- Experience in solving a dilemma
- The influence of technology on your behavior and hobbies
- The most exciting tasks you performed at school or university
- The moment when you found out that you will have a sibling
- How you wrote your first essay
Good Narrative Essay Topics For College Students
Narrative essay writing is a good tool for introducing yourself because its main purpose is to show a student’s personal qualities to new colleagues and/or teachers.
- Tell about your biggest accomplishment outside of college and how you had achieved it
- Tell whom you would invite to your own talk show
- Describe your personality in social media
- The role of teams and clubs in my life
- Tell about the most complex college assignment you handled and got the highest grade
- Tell about the devices that play the biggest role in your life
- Experience with a family member that you will remember forever
- The difference between female and male roles in your family
- The weirdest experience with a stranger
- The role of television in your life
- Tell why you keep (or don’t) a journal or diary
- An experience when you tried something new
- A situation that taught you how someone’s appearance can be misleading
- Tell about the movies or books that changed your worldview
- Tell about a superpower you would like to have and explain why.
Personal Narrative Stories Ideas On Traveling And Holidays
Holidays and traveling are something all students love. These topics are interesting for students because they help disclose their creative potential, and in the course of writing, they make you recall the most memorable moments. It is also interesting for the readers because they are full of vivid details, exciting turns, and interesting stories.
Are you going to write an essay on traveling or holidays? Here are some ideas:
- Describe the vacation of your dreams
- Tell about the most exciting adventure you took with friends
- Tell how you prefer to spend winter holidays
- Does your family have any fun holiday traditions? What are they?
- Imagine you can go on a trip anywhere, where would you choose?
- Tell the most memorable time you visited your family members during holidays
- Would you be a space tourist? How do you imagine this?
- Would you want to move to another country?
- Tell about the most exciting hiking experience you had
- Tell how traveling has influenced your life
- Tell about the most famous sights you have seen
- What was the best vacation in your life?
How to Write Your Narrative Speech After The Essay
A personal narrative speech is the one that aims to introduce the speaker to the audience. When you think of how an essay can be changed to a speech, you should follow several steps:
- start with considering what ideas for speech can fit the essay;
- change the style of your writing to a less formal and more casual;
- read the paper out loud to see whether your essay sounds good; if not, make the necessary changes by adding, removing, or replacing particular phrases;
- remember about your audience and don’t forget to talk about your personal experience;
- make sure that you speak from your heart and express your emotions with words to illustrate the story better.
Writing a narrative speech or essay is an interesting yet challenging task because you have to tell about something personal. However, your personal story will be powerful if you choose a suitable topic. Start with deciding on the experience you want to share to make a persuasive message.
The narrative speech focuses on personal experiences that have made a particular effect on the speaker. These can be both inspiring and upsetting; what matters is that the person has learned a lesson from the story. Therefore, when working on your task, you can be confident that choosing to share a life-changing experience from your past is a good decision.
Need More Tips On Writing Narrative Stories?
There are many other exciting ideas - just check the top essay ideas for 2020 - and these ones are most popular in all colleges all over the country. When writing a narrative essay, you can find many more exciting topics if you look back at the most meaningful moments that happened to you. Always keep in mind that you should check the requirements of a narrative essay topic for college students given by your instructor before writing. There is a service where you can buy a narrative essay or edit it online with the help of experienced writers if you have no time to write this assignment fast.
When writing a personal narrative essay for college, students obtain many skills required for producing a high-quality paper. These skills include some basics – the word choice, organization, and the ability to proofread and edit texts. In addition, such tasks also enhance students’ creativity. Finally, if we talk about more complex topics, writing such a story also teaches a student how to reflect on his or her own experiences, how to analyze certain situations, and how to objectively assess the actions and decisions you have made. Besides, if you choose a good topic, it is also a fun and creative process.
Was this helpful?
Sorry about that
How can we improve it?