Are you wondering how to write a thematic literature review?
Perhaps you have trouble summarizing it in a way that flows well and answers the question the author is trying to answer. But worry no more! This article will provide an example of a chronological and thematic rrl. And a structure that is easy to follow. So read on to understand what the literature review structure should look like.
What Is a Literature Review?
A literature review is usually a part of the dissertation. It shows the reader what literature you used for your project and its credibility. The purpose of a literature review is to show the audience that you researched your topic. You know what you are writing about and how it can add to existing knowledge. In it, you also expose the gaps in the covered materials. This way, you can create your work based on them and successfully write a good piece.
Also, you may find this section similar to the reference list. Both aim to gather and review your information sources. Therefore, the structure is identical as it forms logically. This way, the audience can easily understand and access it.
Usually, this section is essential for your dissertation. Without it, you will have a hard time submitting your work. So, it is crucial to write it, but sometimes it can be tricky. Therefore, we have decided to write this article and help you out. So read and discover everything you need to know about a literature review and how to write one.
Author Tip: It is crucial to remember that the thematic format of the review of related literature must be structured correctly. In most cases, the structure decides success.
Example Of A Literature Review Structure
Given that you already know what a literature review is, you are halfway done writing it. However, to be successful with the task, you must know what the other half consists of.
The second essential part of writing this section is the literature review format. Knowing how to format a literature review can ease your whole writing process. But before that, you must identify what it looks like, for example:
- An opening clause;
- Main part;
Does this look familiar? It is, in fact, similar to the format of a standard essay. As you can see, there is an opening (intro), the main text body, followed by a conclusion. These parts write in identical ways, so given that, you probably already know how to write your literature review.
Nevertheless, even if it seems easy, we should break down each of the sections:
✏️Similarly to a normal introduction, the first sentence is crucial. You have to start by defining your thesis. Then you can move to the review part.
- Start by reviewing the author's point of view.
- Explain how and why the information structure is like that.
- Lastly, end the introduction with a smooth transition to the main part.
The Main Body of the Literature Review
✏️This part of your work is where the main action happens. Here you have to point out the sources you used and:
- List all the information sources. Please make sure they are in structure properly. Keep a chronological or thematic order.
- Next, add any other places from which you took data. Make sure to highlight their relevance to the topic and the connection to primary sources.
✏️Again, like other types of papers, the conclusion is your final. In it, you have to:
- First, note down all the main points you led from the information sources.
- Evaluate the reception of the references you have in your list.
- Try to highlight all the gaps left by the already existing sources.
- If you can, make suggestions that point towards further research. Note that you should point out why.
- Finally, write how your work completes the gaps. Point out how your writing benefits the already existing details.
With this, we are about to finish with the structure. As you can see, it is pretty standard. So, all you have to do is to make sure you follow your idea, keep your thesis, and follow this format.
Author Tip: There exists more than one way to structure your literature review. Make sure to pick the right one and stick to it. Like this, you will finish the work flawlessly.
Ways to Structure a Literature Review
Now that you know how basic structuring works, it is time to focus on a common issue.
Many students mess up with the structuring of their literature. Given how the process is complex, many seek literature review writing help. Therefore, we should note down the two ways of structuring it. Through this, you will grasp the idea of what you should do and what you shouldn't.
They are based on two distinctive features. Although they are different, you can use both to structure your review. Below you will see a literature review structure example tips for each type.
Thematic Literature Review
That is the method favored by those who love to analyze. Students prefer it as it allows them to structure their reviews easier. This method groups the data by its theoretical meaning. So in a thematic literature review example, you will see the sources by their concept and relevance to the topic.
Using the thematic method allows you to focus on your central concept. Moreover, by doing it, you can form the review's structure around your points. That makes it easier to explain them and the connection to the research.
Here it is important to note that choosing the proper sequence is not bound by rules. Yet, even with that freedom, you should try to keep a sequence from the central point to the less important ones. That will allow the reader to navigate and understand your writing easily.
Tip: An example of a thematic literature review can be a logical structure. It does not matter the date when something happened. But the importance of the case.
Chronological Literature Review Structure
Students do not favor this method. It is challenging to keep up, as it is not based on the literature's theme. The chronological method focuses on structuring the sources by date. To be more precise, the date of publishing.
That makes it less attractive to read and less appealing to the reader. However, the chronological method is perfect in some cases. For example, if you write historiographical works. Of course, that is not the limit. Using this method, you should be able to write a chronological literature review example that:
- Focus on the investigation process;
- Case development over time;
- Or when you are writing about specific trends.
As you can see, all of these connect around a span of time.
So if you are not writing on such a topic, it will be wiser to pick the first method. This way, you can rely on your logic. We note that because the chronological approach is strictly data-based. That often can cause issues or illogical remarks.
Author Note: No matter which method you pick. Make sure you keep basic logic in your writing. Note that the literature review points out your knowledge regarding the used literature. Thus, you must always stay true to your sources.
Best Tips for Writing Literature Review
By now, you already know everything about the structure. But sometimes you need something more. At times when you face difficulties. Remind yourself of these tips and questions to ease the writing:
- First of all, who is the text focused on? Think about your audience when structuring your review.
- Note down what your thesis is. What is the issue you write about in your work?
- Decide on what type of literature review you write. Which structure to use and why?
- Ask yourself what sources of information you use. Make sure the order is logical.
- Will the audience find my literature review helpful? Will they easily navigate through it?
- Analyze the sources that you use. Ensure you know what you write about.
- Always aim to show the audience you are knowledgeable. Show the reader through the review that you did your research.
- Pay attention to the subtopics. They are critical for the structure of your review.
- Make sure to cite if there is a need for it.
- Review your whole piece and ask yourself questions. Analyze your literature review critically.
Now with these, you are finally ready to start writing. Make sure to keep the proper formatting. This way, you will have no worries. In the case of difficulties, you can buy a literature review online from us. Our team of experts writing on it will save you the hardships.
In this article, you can see a literature review and how to write it correctly. Also, we introduced you to the two main structuring types and even gave you some tips. Suppose you use all the information correctly. If you stick to the learned, you can quickly deal with it and get a good mark. All that's left is to wish you good luck with the writing!