An article review is one of the most frequently assigned papers. This is one of the favorite tasks of both college and university teachers because when writing this kind of assignment a student should demonstrate not only writing skills but also an ability to evaluate a certain publication.
This task isn't easy because you need to conduct in-depth research and provide a careful analysis of the article. Don't have an idea how to write an article review the right way? Follow the most effective tips for composing a worthy review to impress the reader.
What Is an Article Review?
Before you get started, learn what an article review is. It can be defined as a work, which combines the elements of summary and an evaluative analysis. When writing an article review, you are supposed to have a closer look at a work of another writer. Many experts often practice evaluating another's work. This is done with the goal to improve writing skills.
This kind of work belongs to professional pieces of writing because the process of crafting this paper requires reviewing, summarizing, and understanding the topic. Only experts are able to compose really good reviews containing a logical evaluation of a paper as well as the critique. Your task is not to provide new information. You should process the information you have in a certain publication.
10 Tips for Writing an Article Review
Have you ever written such an assignment? If not, study the helpful tips for composing a paper. If you follow the recommendations provided here, the process of writing a literature review won’t be so time-consuming. The guidelines below will help to make the process of preparing a paper much more productive. Let's get started!
- Check what kind of information your work should contain. After answering the key question “What is an article review?” you should learn how to structure it the right way. To succeed, you need to know what your work should be based on. An analysis with insightful observations is a must for your piece of writing.
- Define the main idea: When reading for the 1st time, concentrate on the overall impression. Brainstorm ideas on what the author wanted to tell and think whether he or she has managed to reach the goal.
- Look up unknown terms. Don’t know the meaning of certain words and expressions? Highlight them and don't forget to check what they mean using reliable sources of information.
- Highlight the most significant ideas. When reading for the 2nd time, take a highlighter to emphasize the most vital ideas for understanding the article.
- Write an outline. A well-written outline will ease your life significantly. All your thoughts will be grouped. The detailed plan helps not miss anything important. Think of those questions that should be answered in the process of writing.
- Brainstorm title ideas. When choosing an article, bear in mind: it should reflect the main idea. Make it eye-catching and concise.
- Check an article review format example. You should check whether you know how to cite an article using the proper style. Take into account that the citation rules differ in APA and MLA format. Ask your teacher, which one you are supposed to give preference to.
- Write a good introduction. Provide the central ideas presented in work in just one brief paragraph. Make an accent on the key concepts and arguments of the author. Include a thesis at the end of the introduction.
- Write in a formal style. Use the third-person and remember that this assignment should be written in accordance with a formal academic writing style.
- Summarize, provide your critique, and conclude. Express your opinion on whether the author has achieved his or her goal or not. Mention the drawbacks of the work if there are any and highlight its strong points as well.
If you have checked the tips and you still doubt whether you have all necessary skills and time for preparing this kind of education work, follow one more tip that guarantees 100% success- ask for professional assistance by asking the best writing service to craft your paper instead of you. Just submit an order online with the words “Write my essay” and get the paper completed by experts.
An Example of an Article Review
If you have a task to prepare an analysis of a certain piece of literature, have a look at article reviews. There is an article review example for you to have a clear picture of what it must look like.
Journal Article on Ayn Rand's Works Review Example
“The purpose of the article is to consider the features of the poetics of Ayn Rand's novels "Atlas Shrugged," "We the living," and "The Fountainhead." In the analysis of the novels, the structural-semantic and the method of comparative analysis were used. With the help of these methods, genre features of the novels were revealed and a single conflict and a cyclic hero were identified.
In-depth reading allows us to more fully reveal the worldview of the author reflected in the novels. It becomes easier to understand the essence of the author's ideas about the connection between being and consciousness, embodied in cyclic ideas and images of plot twists and heroes. The author did a good job highlighting the strong points of the works and mentioning the reasons for the obvious success of Ayn Rand.“