APA stands for American Psychological Association, and the formatting style was first introduced in 1929 by a number of psychologists, businessmen, and anthropologists so there would be some rules for scientific writing that would help others read and understand text better. It consists of conventions, which ensure readers understand presented material, and it makes documentation in different fields easier. This editorial style includes:
As a result, many universities require students to use this style of formatting, and undergraduates start wondering about how to cite an APA style paper.
Apart from writing a title page in APA format, you should also know how to use short quotations and how to cite text in paper APA style. This helps prove your point or include some additional information. Short quotations are usually no longer than 40 words. The best way to include them in your text is to use introductory words and phrases that provide some context and are surrounded by a paragraph. A quotation should be inserted between quotation marks. The author’s details about a quotation should be placed before it in a signal phrase:
However, Jones (1950) points out, “knowledge is a value” (p. 236).
You can also place all the details afterward:
However, it was pointed out, “knowledge is a value” (Jones, 1950, p.236).
Long quotations are more than 40 words and are also called block quotations. Their usage has a set of unique rules:
Look at the example of a long quotation below. She explained by saying that
Macs are often the best option for users who wish to work with video or picture manipulation. Macs are also very user-friendly, which may benefit consumers who are new to computers. PCs, however, run Microsoft Office Suite the best. (Oyler, 2010, p. 48)
You may be wondering how to cite in APA style paper. Most of the time, citing authors in your essay is an easy task if you already know how to create a research paper outline in APA format. Overall, the information includes the author’s surname, year of publication, and a page number if it’s a direct citation. You need to use an in-text citation meaning it usually appears before the period and has other rules. If the name of the author is not included in the sentence, state their name after it. Work that includes two writers needs an in-text citation with both their names, separated by an ampersand. In case there are three or more authors, include all of them in the beginning citation, separated by commas and the final two by an ampersand. For all later in-text citations use only the first author, followed by “et al.” and the year of publication.
Main points to include while citing sources in a paper are the writer's name and initials, the title of the work, and year published. You can find more detailed structures below. It may be challenging to cope with the challenge of how to cite text in a paper APA style. If you need help with citation or title page, you can visit online citation generators or buy an APA paper.
• Print books. One author: Author's Last name, First and Middle initial. (Year Published). Title of work. Location: Publisher. Two or more authors: Last name, First and Middle initial., Last name, First initial. Middle initial., & Last name, First. and Middle initial. (Date). Title. Location: Publisher.
• E-books. Author’s Last Name, First initial. Middle initial. (Year Published). Title of work [E-reader version]. http://dx.doi.org/xxxx or Retrieved from http://xxxx
• Journal articles. Author's Last name, First. Middle initial. (Year Published). Title of article. Title of Periodical, Volume(Issue), page range.
• Newspaper articles. Author's Last name, First. Middle initial. (Year, Month Day Published). Title of article. Title of Newspaper, page range.
• Magazine articles. Author’s Last Name, First and Middle initial. (Year, Month Published). Title of article. Title of Magazine, Volume(Issue), page range.
• Websites. Author’s Family name, First initial. (Year, Month Date Published). Title of a webpage. Retrieved from URL
• Interviews. Personal interviews should have an in-text format instead. The structure for it is: (Interviewee First initial., Last Name, personal communication, Date Interviewed). In the reference list, it would look like this: Last Name, First and Middle initial. of Individual being interviewed (Year, Month Day Interviewed). Interview by 1st initial, Family name [Format of interview]. Published interviews should be cited like it’s set in article, magazine or film etc.
APA style is often used in fields like education, economics, business, social sciences, and more. However, it’s used in college writing for various reasons. Not many students know how to cite APA style in a research paper. It ensures all the sections of a paper have a standard form and sources are cited by official and standard guidelines. It’s important to cite a paper, acknowledging references to the other authors and work because it ensures you don’t plagiarize.
Order your paper now!