When a student is assigned to write a paper, he or she is also supposed to provide a list of sources that have been used. Regardless of the type of academic assignment you have, it is a must to make a list of references mentioning the sources used in your paper. All college and university students should know how to write an annotated bibliography in APA format. The American Psychological Association style is used when preparing papers in social sciences.
You may be assigned to write an APA annotated bibliography as a separate task, when analyzing different literary works, or as a part of another paper where you add the references at the end. If you have never written an APA format annotated bibliography, you should learn what it is and how it differs from the standard list of works cited.
What Is an Annotated Bibliography in APA Format?
An APA annotated bibliography is a list of sources that also includes a description after every source. Unlike with a standard list of references, you should provide a brief summary of each literary work used in your paper. Whether you use a book, a journal article, or an Internet resource, you are expected to add a description of the main concepts your sources. A lot of students consider this task too difficult and give it to a professional essay writing service to add annotations to their works cited page.
In order to write a high-quality APA citation bibliography, it is necessary to be analytical and demonstrate your skills while evaluating different pieces of information. An annotation should be brief but informative. The main goal of writing an annotation is to help the reader understand how a certain book or any other publication can help him or her when writing a APA research paper format on the same topic.
7 Guidelines for Annotated Bibliography
The process of writing a bibliography list in APA requires a lot of time and effort. That's why some students prefer to let an annotated bibliography writing services. write it for them. If you follow the guidelines below, you'll be able to make it less time-consuming and more effective.
In order to compose a bibliography followed by an annotation the right way, be guided by the following rules of APA style:
- Summarize the source: You should explain in your own words what this source is about
- Provide in-depth analysis: You are expected to ask such questions such as whether the author has reached his or her goal or if the author provided a general overview or a more narrow focus.
- Evaluate the source: At this stage of writing a bibliography, you are expected to define how useful and helpful the source is for your research. If you have chosen relevant sources for your work, you should see a connection between the focus of your topic and the source.
- Check with your professor to see if you need to include the following three elements: summary, analysis, and evaluation. Some professors may not require analyzing or evaluating sources. Determine if you are required to do this or not. It is perfectly reasonable to ask your professor what you should include in your annotations.
- No extra spacing is needed when writing an annotation after the citation.
- Make the paragraph of your annotation in APA format no longer than 200 words
- Provide a critical analysis of the source avoiding the evaluation of the author's conclusions.
Example of a Bibliography in APA
Before you get started with your APA citation annotated bibliography, take a closer look at a bibliography APA example. Having a high-quality example in front of you will allow you to structure your reference list appropriately.
Insights into Human Behavior
Myers, D. (1971). Social Psychology. Hope College Holland, Michigan with Jean M.Twenge San Diego State University.
The book presents the standards of social behavior. It covers a review of a wide range of theories and hypotheses along with a variety of experiments. This book is both strictly scientific and human and has plenty of facts and intriguing information. It describes the fundamental principles of social thinking, social influence, and social behavior, a variety of experiments, as well as recent research.
Weinshenk, S. (2013). How to Get People to Do Stuff: Master the Art and Science of Persuasion and Motivation. New Riders.
Our psyche works in accordance with certain laws. Those who are aware of them can “force” people to do what they need. As Susan Weinschenk showed in her book, this is not difficult. You just need to understand what motivates people and be able to apply this knowledge the right way. The author of “Laws of Influence,” Susan Weinschenk is a famous American psychologist specializing in behavioral psychology.
The book presents the latest achievements in the field of neurology and the human brain. There are tips on how to apply the acquired knowledge in business and everyday life. Weinschenk does not just list the main motivators of human behavior but also tells how to use them to achieve concrete results. She provides different behavior strategies for each psychological law which is useful for psychological students.
Was this helpful?
Sorry about that
How can we improve it?