So you have already chosen and developed the topic, and even implemented it and, it would seem, it remains a small matter – to issue and publish. But if your work does not meet the generally accepted requirements, even a correct citation style, your paper will not be published – a little sad. To prevent this, you must be familiar with the main formats of publications and draw up an article following the basic criteria. So what are citation styles? Let's see!
A number of formats have been developed for you and for your colleagues around the world for convenience, accuracy, and to standardize the publication process by reputable European and American institutions. Here we will talk about what citation style to use when writing papers.
Tips On Choosing A Citation Style For Science
Here we’ll walk through the main types of citations to let you know more about them.
- The ACS or American Chemical Society. The style developed by this community is used for research in chemistry. ACS has issued a special "ACS Style Guide" which sets out the rules for writing scientific articles, effective handling of scientific information, making a link in the text and creating a list of references. Access to the" Manual” is completely free.
- The Institute of electrical and electronics create style IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.) engineers. It is used in the field of electronics and computer science to write scientific works. In this style, citations, references are numbered and the number of citations is included in the text in square brackets. But where’re the references? At the end of the document, the list of references includes all bibliographic information next to the corresponding number. The rules of the IEEE style are described in the IEEE Editorial Style Manual, which is free for everyone. Also, IEEE Citation Generator will be a useful tool for students.
- The next is the APA (American Psychological Association), developed by the American Psychological Association and focused on Social Sciences. There is also a" publication Guide " (Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association), which contains recommendations on the organization and structure of the article, the design of quotations, footnotes, tables, figures, notes, and applications. Online APA Citation Generator for those, who are in need.
- AMS is developed by the American mathematical society and refers to the citation format for science, as well as AIP. Interesting enough? In the AMS, the # sign in parentheses represents the number of citations mentioned in the text of the article. This community has created its own directory in four versions depending on the type of material you are going to publish journal article, memoirs, monographs and tutorials or articles about research.
- MLA developed by the Association of modern languages. It is usually used in the Humanities. A set of instructions that authors can apply to any type of source is the MLA Handbook. Here’s a link for you in case, if you were looking for an Online MLA Citation Generator.
- Chicago – this style is considered the most universal, is used for humanitarian, Natural Sciences, in social sphere academic editions, historical journals. The Chicago format defines the features of the preparation and publication of works in formatting. Check out our special Chicago Citation Generator.
- Turabian style – is mainly used for registration of student scientific works. A kind of instruction for the preparation and registration of student and dissertation works is "a Guide for the authors of research papers, theses, and dissertations.”. You can use a special Turabian Citation Generator from our website.
- The Harvard style defines the principles of design of the used sources. So the cited literature is numbered as it appears in the text, it is also allowed to use the links at the bottom of the page, the literature sources are not numbered and placed at the end of the article in alphabetical order. And the most important. The sources are quoted inside the text in parentheses, where the author, year and page are mentioned.
- Many scientific journals and especially biomedical ones use Vancouver style – this system is more convenient because in the text of the article in the places to be cited, the Arabic figure is inserted, placed in square brackets and the corresponding numbering of the source in the list of references in the order of its mention in the article.
When thinking about which citation style to use, you should be guided by the requirements of the teacher and science.
Need Professional Help To Write Academic Papers In Some Style?
After we discussed different citation styles, you know how to reference style of citation – but what if this can be a little bit difficult to write the whole paper on your own? Right! Because of that, our service helps students to write different academic assignments using different citation styles.