Many students delay writing a research paper from the very beginning of the writing process. This happens due to many reasons. Most often, students experience writer’s block where they open a document but can’t start writing. Another common reason is the lack of experience. In this case, students don’t know how to begin the introductory paragraph and have no idea how to prepare a creative and successful thesis statement.
Some students solve this problem by ordering a paper. However, we have another solution. You should review the elementary rules of writing this type of work because a lack of understanding often results in self-doubt and giving up too soon. The next step is choosing a topic. Starting a research paper won’t be so difficult if you have chosen the right topic. If you are interested in and inspired by the chosen topic, you will be able to write faster.
7 Steps On How To Begin A Research Paper Easily
If you are concerned that you will never write a proper thesis statement, we offer you this guide. When you use obsolete tools and methods, you will spend hours studying the relevant literature. To write a research paper, you should overcome the painful procedure of sorting scientific sources by optimizing your efforts more efficiently.
- Read the guidelines of the research. Generally, professors leave basic recommendations on writing a thesis. This step facilitates the research process and provides you with a starting point. Then you can easily find the valued sources in the academic community.
- Choose a research paper topic. This is one of the most difficult tasks. The research paper topic sets the pace for the introduction and creation of the thesis statement. You can find one that matches your interests simply by surfing the Internet.
Here are a few tips on choosing a perfect topic:
- It should be interesting;
- It should be a feasible subject;
- You should limit your area of research;
- You should get your professor’s approval before starting your work.
- Do the research: facts and examples. The most complicated and exhausting part of drafting a successful statement is searching for reliable information. If you've scoured the Internet but haven't found the facts you need, it’s time to ask the professor. He or she can help you find the answers your need to difficult questions.
- Create a research paper outline. Now that you have taken care of the first steps, you can start drafting. During this stage, try to plan out your work’s main ideas. The research paper outline prevents mistakes that can be made.
- Create a thesis. The thesis helps to keep yourself on-track and not get lost while writing. Therefore, create a strong and detailed thesis statement.
Brainstorm and formulate several theses and ensure your hypothesis is clear. Doing these things is the key for your reader to understand and evaluate your entire work. This is why you want to include all the necessary information for your topic so your reader will clearly understand what you are writing about.
You should do your best to make your thesis flawless. However, it is okay if you face certain difficulties. It is not easy to formulate a good thesis and if you are unsure of your skills or knowledge, we advise you to use a thesis statement generator. Such tools will help you cope with this matter quickly and easily.
- Make a brilliant intro. How to write introduction paragraph? Writing the opening for a paper can be a time-consuming and frustrating process. However, if you prepare well, write an outline, and choose a good subject, this won’t be too difficult. You should already have a great thesis, background information, and a research question. Now all you need is to make an interesting hook to catch the readers’ attention while organizing all of the necessary introductory elements in your first paragraph.
- Write your research paper. We have come to one of the most exciting and terrifying steps. The writing of the research paper itself. Gather your thoughts, facts, quotes, and statistics to start writing the research paper.
- Cite your sources. When you complete a research paper, you should note the literature you have used. Be sure to specifically mention all of the original sources in your research paper.
Example of Introduction Paragraph For A Research Paper
Example: Social media has been around for some time but is already an essential part of everyone's daily routine. There are so many opportunities that social networking websites provide, like entertainment as well as networking. However, few people really view the use of social media from a different perspective since the majority neglects the negative consequences that arise from it. Social media has many benefits, although one can suffer from its repercussions, making it crucial to raise awareness of social media’s negative effects.
A good intro to a research paper has to follow a certain structure. You need to include a certain number of sentences, each having a specific goal. To get the exact instructions, you can go through the ASU research guideto write perfect introductions.
In general, here’s the structure to follow:
- The first paragraph to your research paper has to start with a general sentence that introduces the background of the topic.
- Mention the issue that is related to your topic in the next sentence or two in order to narrow your introduction down to your research paper’s thesis.
- The last sentence of your introduction paragraph should be the thesis of your paper, which summarizes your paper in one sentence.
Remember that the thesis should highlight both the topic and the problem you discuss in your research paper.
A well-written research paper should be moderately long and not confusing. The ordinary reader shouldn’t forget what was said at the beginning while reading the middle of the work. Combine several short sentences into one and do not hesitate to give thorough explanations.
Was this helpful?
Sorry about that
How can we improve it?