Writing a last-minute essay can be difficult, and it can be even harder when you don’t know the difference between “apart” and “a part.” These two words are only one space apart, but they have two distinct meanings. Using the wrong one can lead to confusion in your sentence. Unsurprisingly, many people struggle to correctly use these words in their writing. However, it is important to understand that there is a key difference between the two words in order to be able to use them accurately.
If you have ever been confused about whether you should include "apart or a part" in a particular body of text, this guide will help you. Below, you will find out the definition of these words as well as how to use them in the future. This will come in quite useful when you are penning essays or writing custom research papers.
Definition of Words Apart and A Part
Before going any further, let’s take a closer look at the separate meanings of these words. This will help us form a better understanding of the words, as well as how to use them in our sentences. Additionally, PapersOwl can be an excellent resource for anyone looking to gain a more comprehensive knowledge of words and their meanings. It offers extensive materials that can provide useful insight and help expand your writing skills.
Have you ever asked yourself the question, is a part one word or two? Or, perhaps you have wondered the opposite – is apart one word or two? Here is the quickest answer to these two questions:
- Apart (one word): this is an adverb that is usually used to refer to something that is separated by a distance. Thus, being apart meaning amounts to being isolated from one another.
- A part (two words): so, what does it mean to be a part of something? This is a phrase that can be defined as a portion of a larger group or area. An easy way to remember the meaning of this word is to think of it as a synonym for piece.
If you want a quick trick to identify which word or phrase you are dealing with, consider the word that is following them. See, the rule of thumb is as follows:
- A part of
- Apart from
It would be incorrect to write or use "apart of" or "to be apart of".
Examples of Using "Apart" in Sentences
Let's see how to use the word "apart" in a sentence to make the concept of this word and phrase a little clearer.
- I don’t like to keep the mother cat and the kitten apart from each other for too long.
- If you place the magnets apart from one another, they will slide back together.
- The two best friends wouldn’t be kept apart, despite the awful weather separating them.
- In her hurry to open her present, she accidentally tore apart the wrapping paper.
Examples of Using "A Part" in Sentences
Now, let’s take a look at how you can use "a part" in a sentence while writing:
- Being a part of something bigger than yourself is a wonderful experience for many.
- A part of the river bank had been washed away during the storm.
- He only had to pull away a part of the wall to inspect the water damage.
- She knew that a part of herself would always feel homesick.
Also, you can use an essay maker to quickly and easily generate a high-quality essay. This tool can save you time and effort, as it provides a comprehensive range of features, such as a spellchecker, grammar checker, and even a plagiarism checker. With an essay maker, you can create a unique and engaging essay in no time.
It will take you quite a while and a lot of practice before you can use this word and phrase without thinking about it. Of course, you may not have this option if you are a student. If you find yourself in this situation, you should use a research paper editing service before you hand in your academic work. These services are meant to catch mistakes such as misusing "apart" and "a part".
If you have made errors in your paper, there is no need to worry, as they can be caught before you submit your paper. This is a great advantage for you as it means you can avoid silly mistakes that could impact your grade and gain insight into how to use words and phrases correctly in an academic setting. Furthermore, with the help of essay editing services, you can be sure that all mistakes will be spotted, allowing you to submit a flawless paper to your professor. Either way, this is a great opportunity to ensure you get the best possible grade.