It is hardly surprising that most people have trouble using apart vs. a part in their sentences. After all, there is just a single space separating these two words from each other. However, although these words may look the same, they certainly aren’t.
If you have ever been confused by whether you should include apart or a part in a particular body of text, then this guide will help you out. Below, you will find out the definition of these words as well as how to use them in the future. This will come in quite useful when you are penning essays or writing research papers.
Definition of Words Apart and A Part
Before going any further, let’s take a look at the individual meaning of these words. This will form the basis for how you understand the words as well as how you can place them in your sentences.
Have you ever asked yourself the question, is a part one word or two? Or, perhaps you have wondered the opposite – is apart one word or two? Here is the quickest answer to these two questions:
- Apart (one word): this is an adverb that is usually used to refer to something that is separated by a distance. Thus, being apart meaning amounts to being isolated from one another.
- A part (two words): so, what does it mean to be a part of something? This is a phrase that can be defined as a portion of a larger group or area. An easy way to remember the meaning of this word is to think of it as a synonym for piece.
If you want a quick trick to identify which word or phrase you are dealing with, consider the word that is following them. See, the rule of thumb is as follows:
- A part of
- Apart from
It would be incorrect to write or use apart of or to be apart of.
Examples of Using Apart in Sentence
To make the concept of this word and phrase a little clearer, let’s see how to use the word apart in a sentence.
- I don’t like to keep the mother cat and the kitten apart from each other for too long.
- If you place the magnets apart from one another, they will slide back together.
- The two best friends wouldn’t be kept apart, despite the awful weather separating them.
- In her hurry to open her present, she accidentally tore apart the wrapping paper.
Examples of Using A Part in Sentences
Now, let’s take a look at how you can use a part in a sentence while writing:
- Being a part of something bigger than yourself is a wonderful experience for many.
- A part of the river bank had been washed away during the storm.
- He only had to pull away a part of the wall to inspect the water damage.
- She knew that a part of herself would always feel homesick.
There is no denying that it will take you quite a while and a lot of practice before you can use this word and phrase without really thinking about it. Of course, if you are a student, you may not have this option. If you find yourself in this situation, you should use a research paper editing service before you hand in your academic work in. Understand, these services are meant to catch out mistakes such as the misuse of apart and a part.
So, if you have made these errors in your paper, you can be confident that they will be caught before you can send your paper into your professor. Such an opportunity has two advantages for you. On the one hand, it means that you can avoid making silly mistakes that can affect your grade. On the other, you will get a first-hand look at how you are supposed to use this word and phrase in an academic setting. Either way, it works out well for you.