- Elementary School Debate Topics
- Middle School Debate Topics
- High School Debate Topics
- Debate Topics For College Or University Students
- Debatable Topics For Undergraduates In 2019
- Science And Technology
- Health And Medicine
- Psychology, Sociology, And Ethic
- Policy And Finance
- Leisure (Music, Games, Etc.)
A debate is a usual and powerful task in colleges which is an essential part of the academic program and also quite an engaging activity for young people despite the fact that many students have problems while they are preparing to debate.
The most common difficulty is to choose a debate topic for students. It should be a topic you are interested in and at the same time, it should be practical for your class or another public audience you are speaking to.
So how does one find this kind of topic? We have prepared some tips on how to choose college debate topics for college students. If you have to prepare an essay, we can also help you do it using the custom essay writing service PapersOwl for students.
How To Debate Using Pro And Con Arguments?
One of the most important things you should consider when going into a debate is your opponent from the opposite side of the table, as well as your audience, are going to have controversial opinions on your topic. They will have some points against your position and you have to be ready for this. The best way to be prepared for such situations is to outline both pro and con arguments on the topic you’ve chosen. This will help you see the whole picture. After all, providing pro and con arguments on a specific topic is a popular practice in debates, so you should understand how to do it right. For this reason, we have prepared an example of how you can do it with the topic “How social media can make people more or less sociable”:
Pro: The popularity of social media has helped us meet new people and communicate easier
Con: With the appearance of social networks, people started to interact less in the real-life
Pro: Social media helps less sociable people develop their communication skills without discomfort
- Con: Social media takes almost all our free time, making us too busy to connect with each other in the real world
We have already wrote some essays about social media. You can check it here.
Best List Of Interesting Debate Topics 2019
Here is our best list of interesting debate topics 2019 which will generate more passion for a debate:
All these topics can be a good match, but in this article, we have prepared even more interesting topics. Continue reading to find your perfect debate topic!
If you feel strong in choosing the theme of your debate but have no time to prepare all arguments for speech - PapersOwl is here to help you.
How To Choose A Debate Topic?
Where does one find some easy debate topics? There are many things to debate about but it is not very easy to choose the right topic that will be interesting for most students. Here are a few tips on how to make the right choice:
- Think about some topics that interest you – what sort of discussions do you like the most? You can pick something from the curriculum also. This way, you will be able to help other students learn the material they will have on their tests and the topics they may face in the future. It is possible to work with this the way you work with your essay topic ideas.
- Also, keep in mind that your discussion topics must fit the other students’ level – some of them can be unable to handle the topic that has too many aspects to consider. Highly complex issues should fit the students with a great standard of reasoning. But most students usually come up with a few arguments and these arguments rarely relate to the opposing parties' points. In this situation, the debate can become confusing or embarrassing. Make a list of suitable debate questions.
- Consider your students’ access to research all necessary materials – if other students have to conduct significant research while preparing for the debate, it can’t be a good debate. This is something you have to keep in mind. For example, when you pick a theme in modern art and literature with many specific terms and present it to a math class, your debate won’t have good results. Do not forget to prepare your personal speech or buy one from a reliable speech writing services online.
- Do not forget about the time! All students must have enough time to prepare for the debate, so it is reasonable to pick out a topic that the students are studying now or one that they have already studied. This way, they will be able to come up with strong and clever arguments.
- While debating, assume that you are right – in order to succeed, you have to be completely sure in your position and have some strong supporting facts.
- Do not insult the opposition. Be polite in every situation that could happen.
When choosing the best debate topic ideas, we considered several criteria as level of education, type of debate, and subject or sphere of knowledge. We’ve divided the best ideas into categories to make your search simpler.
Debate Topics By Levels Of Education
Going to debate, students have to consider their level of education to pick a relevant topic that suits both your needs and your level. How to choose a topic that suits you? Below, we have prepared a few tips and examples for different levels.
Elementary School Debate Topics
Searching for a perfect topic for elementary students, keep in mind that kids of this level are not experienced and mature enough to be able to handle complex controversial issues, so it’s a good idea to opt for something less complicated. These students also lack knowledge and skills for researching topics. Therefore, it is important to choose a topic that wouldn’t be hard to study. Finally, the best ideas for elementary school debate topics have to be easy to understand and engaging to boost students’ participation and here you can see a few great ideas of debate topics for elementary students:
Middle School Debate Topics
Topics for this level may be more complex and give a boost to students’ analytical and critical thinking skills. For this level, you can opt for slightly controversial topics. Debate topics for middle school still shouldn’t require too much from a student but have to give some information to think about for a student to develop an individual position on a specific issue. Here are a few ideas to opt for:
High School Debate Topics
In high school, debates are excellent tools not only for getting students involved in the class but also for helping them gain new knowledge and skills that would be important for their future education and life. Debate topics for high school become more controversial and complex. Below are some good examples of good high school debate topics:
Debate Topics For College Or University Students
When it comes to choosing debate topics for college or university, there are many things to keep in mind – it has to be controversial, relevant, have significance, and clearly demonstrate a student’s knowledge and skills. Choosing a good topic can be hard. However, in our article, you will find many good examples and here are a few of them:
Debatable Topics For Undergraduates In 2019
Choosing a great debate topic is half the success of a performance. We have already given you a few tips on how to choose the right topic and here are some topics that great college debaters can use:
Any of these topics can help you succeed in debates. However, keep in mind that if you want to perform well, it is not enough to just pick a good topic, you also need to know how to prepare for a debate.
Types Of Debate Topics By Format
Apart from the academic level, you should also consider the type of debate format to choose from and an appropriate topic. When choosing the format, consider the audience and the course objectives. Some formats, such as a persuasive format will develop a student’s ability to give presentations where they need to convince the audience of an idea. On the other hand, an argumentative topic develops skills of negotiating and a controversial format gets students accustomed to speaking about ideas that may not be comfortable or popular. Here is a break down of the primary three formats:
Persuasive Debate Topics
The main goal of such topics is to persuade the audience. Persuasive debate topics have to cover a problem or subject that people care about and it also has to be something you are personally interested in and knowledgeable in. If you are going to choose this type, you will have to carefully study the subject you have and prepare a powerful base of arguments and facts to be able to prove the validity of your opinion.
Controversial Debate Topics
The main characteristic of such topics is they are always challenging for a student – controversial debate topics usually cover significant and powerful issues and have lots of space for arguments. Such issues may have two or more absolutely different public opinions. Therefore, they also assume prolonged and intensive public discussion. A good controversial theme arouses different opinions among the people and makes them come up with questions that can’t have one specific answer.
Argumentative Debate Topics
Argumentative debate topics cover specific issues, problems, phenomenon or subjects that you can deliberate. Selecting such topics you have to be ready to do in-depth research, study materials, and pick arguments from time-tested and reliable sources to support your ideas.
These three formats are different in nature and purpose. However, regardless of what type you are looking for, to choose a good topic, you have to follow these basic rules:
- It has to be fresh and relevant.
- It has to be something that people and you personally care about.
- It has to be interesting.
- It doesn’t have to be too broad or too narrow.
- It has to have value.
- You have to be able to find enough supporting material on it.
List Of Debate Topics By Field Of Knowledge
It is not possible to become a great debater if you have no clue how to choose an engaging and relevant topic for your debates. Choosing topics can be hard. However, we have done all the hard work to give you a list of great ideas that can work for any purpose or level, so we hope each of you will find something suitable and interesting in the list below.
Science And Technology
Health And Medicine
Psychology, Sociology, And Ethic
Policy And Finance
Leisure (Music, Games, Etc.)
The discussion can help you talk about hot and interesting topics and learn other's points of view. It can also allow you to overcome stage fright. While performing at such an event, students learn to think spontaneously and defend their points of view politely.
Funny And Interesting Debate Topics
Not every time you prepare for debate you will have to be serious. Sometimes you will get an opportunity to set your creativity free and just enjoy the process as you are participating in a debate on funny or just interesting debate topics. However, this does not mean you won’t have to prepare. To not lose face, you will still have to choose a topic and prepare arguments, so here are some fun topics to debate on we have prepared for you:
Debating is a useful practice for all people thanks to the experience and skills it gives you. Preparing for a debate, you gain more knowledge on a specific topic. In addition, you get the possibility to develop your problem-solving and communication skills, which are the most in-demand skills for modern employers.
Debating helps enhance rigorous critical thinking and higher-order skills. It teaches people to organize and structure their thoughts well. If you participate in debates, you can also develop your research, note-taking, and analytical skills, as well as gain the ability to create balanced, informed arguments and use evidence and reasoning. All the skills mentioned above are vital for every successful student. Remember, the best way to gain and improve skills is to practice debating!
If this article was useful for you, share it with your friends!
Was this helpful?
Sorry about that
How can we improve it?