Many students today have to deal with writing complex and time-consuming essays. These include topics where two different viewpoints have to be introduced and debated. For more professional essay help like this and plenty of other writing resources related to the use of transition words for compare and contrast essay.
So what do we mean by compare and contrast transition words? Before we delve into these two terms, let’s take a look at what a ‘transition word’ is. Simply put, transition words describe the relationship between two ideas; they are words for similarities and differences. If we were to dissect their purposes to a more nuanced degree, they can:
- Show vague or strong similarities between one concept and another
- Show a correlation between one concept and another
- Show a causal relationship between one concept and the other
- Show the opposing natures of one concept and another
What Are Compare And Contrast Transition Words?
As the name clearly implies, they are transition words that establish a comparison or a contrast between one thing and another. These are very useful and quite widely used in any form of writing. The overall effect that comparing expressions and contrast expressions produce is that they make your essays flow much better. By using them, you’ll ensure that each and every point you introduce in the piece has a context in relation to each other.
Compare And Contrast Transition Words: Defined And Explained
What are some ‘similarity transition words or transition words’ for explaining what two things have in common? Here are a few examples:
- In the same way
- In like manner
- By the same token
Hence, for example, if you were describing the likeness between the speeds of two different subspecies of lions, you could word it like so: ‘subspecies A can reach speeds up to 40 mph. Similarly, subspecies B can achieve a maximum of 35 mph.
Could ‘in addition’ transitions fit into the domain of comparative phrases as well?
The answer is ‘yes’. These can often be used to link multiple traits or features to one entity. For instance, if you want to discuss the multiple benefits of exercise but don’t want your sentences to be too lengthy. You could use transition words like ‘in addition’ and ‘furthermore’, to list more benefits in a new sentence. Here are a few examples of these comparison terms in use:
- ‘Keeping your tires properly inflated can help prevent random blowouts on the road. In addition, it will also mean that you don’t have to spend money as often to replace them. ‘
- ‘Having a morning cup of coffee will give you the energy you need to start off the day. Furthermore, it will make sure that you don’t get grumpy as the day progresses.’
- ‘Learning to play instruments as a family will help you become much closer with each other. On top of that, you’ll have a really great time.’
Whatever would we do without transitions signifying contrast? There would be no way for us to articulate our polar, different and conflicting ideas and thereby debates could not exist. Hence, contrast words are very important to any essay.
Let’s take a look at some different ‘categories’ of these contrasting words:
What are some ‘opposite’ transition words or phrases?
- In contrast
- At the other end of the spectrum
What are some ‘difference’ transition words or phrases?
- A clear difference
What are some ‘conflict’ transition words or phrases?
- On the one hand
- On the other hand
Universal Compare And Contrast Words
Not everything is black and white in terms of which words fit into which category of transition words. There are, in fact, grey areas where words can be used to both compare and contrast depending on the context. Let’s take a look at these grey areas.
Signal words for compare and contrast – what are they?
These are general words that fall under both contrast and comparative phrases. For example:
- At the same time
- On the other hand
- On the same token
What are summary transition words and phrases?
These are words that can be both contrast and comparative terms, that can help tie many points together during a wrap-up. These include:
- All things considered
- To summarize
- In short
- To sum up
- All in all
Comparison And Contrast Example Sentences
One of the best ways to learn about something is to see how it is applied. Hence, we’ve compiled a large list of comparison and contrast phrases in action.
Here’s how these transition phrases are applied:
- Regular cardio exercise does wonder for your overall heart health. Likewise, it contributes to the betterment of your mental health.
- Listening to your spouse and adjusting your behavior to address his/her concerns can do wonders for your marriage. In the same way, arranging spontaneous fun dates can certainly throw more excitement into things.
- Both Leonardo Da Vinci and Francisco Goya were both renowned painters in their respective eras. Similarly, Hieronymus Bosch was an accomplished painter whose works are still revered today.
- Followers of Islam believe that there is only one God in existence. In like manner, Christianity is also a monotheistic religion.
- Be careful not to harm yourself while roofing your own house. Moreover, take measures to keep tools from falling down and accidentally injuring passersby.
- The average life expectancy is greater than it was ten years ago. Furthermore, studies have shown that people are also happier now.
- I don’t think I’ll ever quit eating ice cream. Besides, I exercise daily and take great care of my teeth.
- Make sure you make a habit of keeping an eye on the fluid levels of your car. That, coupled with regular inspection of your tires, should ensure that your vehicle remains healthy for a long while.
- The number of college-educated people is on the rise as well as the number of women in the STEM fields.
Let’s take a look at a few examples of how contrast transition words are used in essays:
- People who play basketball are generally quite tall. In contrast, gymnasts and jockeys are typically short.
- India is an undeniably beautiful country with a rich heritage and vibrant culture. Nevertheless, the country’s reputation has been tarnished over the years due to its rampant corruption problems.
- On the one hand, a career in the military earns one a lot of respect from everyone. On the other hand, soldiers tend to experience severe depression fairly commonly.
- People of the Christian faith strongly believe in the afterlife while Hindus and Buddhists preach the concept of reincarnation and nirvana.
- Both vegans and vegetarians avoid the consumption of meat. However, the former also avoids all animal products in all instances.
- Bohemian Rhapsody received largely negative reviews from critics when it was released. At the same time, it helped propel them into stardom.
- Everyone expects life to go smoothly all the time. In truth, it is filled with constant ups and downs.
- Feminism is on the rise now but so is resistance to it.
Bookmark this list of transition words for your compare and contrast essay to make a stable flow of thoughts, and make your writing even more persuasive and much easier to read and comprehend.
Was this helpful?
Sorry about that
How can we improve it?