Every student faces a dilemma of how to not plagiarize a research paper. This is not as easy as ABC. When writing a research paper, you should base your work on the findings of well-known scientists. Bear in mind: there are no sources you can use by directly copying from them. There are students who believe that there is nothing horrible in copying somebody's thoughts.
It is a misconception! If the sentences you’ve taken from a certain published source are detected, you risk getting a low grade and damaging your reputation. The worst consequence of copying another author's ideas is taking legal responsibility because this is considered theft. It doesn't matter what you steal: goods in a supermarket or ideas from somebody's text.
How Much Plagiarism Is Allowed in a Research Paper?
Treat copying somebody’s ideas with the utmost seriousness. When copying and pasting other writers' thoughts and presenting them as your own, you plagiarize your work depriving it of value. Such an approach to composing papers won't lead to anything good. Learn how to avoid copying using a synonym method as well as other effective tricks when composing your work.
What to do if you have no idea on how to change certain ideas without plagiarizing, especially if the assignment is very specific. Do you lack skills in paraphrasing texts with technical terms? Let's answer the question “How much copying is allowed?”
If you ask your teacher how much he or she can accept as the norm, you will get the immediate answer: “Zero.” There is nothing surprising! You should be able to paraphrase and rewrite. When assigning research assignments, teachers want you to demonstrate great skill and to form your own opinion on a certain topic.
When stealing somebody's thoughts, you disappoint teachers by violating copyright. Plagiarism can be avoided by paraphrasing. Express somebody’s thoughts in a manner nobody can recognize where you have taken them from. This is an effective way to fight taking thoughts from other publications.
Use quotes bearing in mind: quotations in a research paper should be less than 20%. Have you found a quote suitable for the beginning? Begin with a citation. It is a common practice to cite a famous person at the end as well. Include only quotes being able to add value to your report. Take a step towards original research and follow the useful tips below.
5 Tips on How Not Plagiarize a Research Paper
Plagiarism and how to avoid it? If you aren't an expert in writing from scratch, then check out the best tips on how to craft papers able to pass any checker. Check 5 effective ways to avoid plagiarism. They will help with writing research papers to get an 'A' as it will contain no plagiarism.
- Express the main ideas using your own words. Paraphrase other authors’ thoughts leaving the same meaning and using a rich vocabulary. Many paraphrasing tools available online are aimed at preventing plagiarism. Choose one of them to find a suitable synonym if there is a need to change the text preserving its initial meaning. You need to analyze the text thoroughly and present the processed information the way nobody will guess which text has been used as a basis for research.
- Use a plagiarism checker. This is one of the best ways to prevent plagiarism, which allows detecting plagiarism quickly. Using plagiarism checkers, you can see which paragraphs still need to be improved.
- Use quotation marks if you can't do without a certain sentence. This is a safe method of using thoughts from other works avoiding possible negative consequences. Before quoting, you should learn about citation rules to know how to cite the right way.
- Conduct in-depth research to have a clear picture of what a paper is about. You should check all unknown words and phrases before you get started in order to use the research of another author in the correct context.
- Make a list of references in the research paper. In order to avoid plagiarism, you should make a list of all the information sources that you have used when writing a paper. You are supposed to refer to a certain publication every time you include ideas of other writers. Provide a list of the works cited for your teacher to know that you didn’t have an intention to steal anybody’s thoughts and copied some idea to show that the well-known experts support the same standpoint as you.
To prevent plagiarizing work, it is possible to ask a custom writer to give a helping hand. Can submitting a custom work be called theft? The fact is that you really present the work written by another person, but it is not the same when you take a book and copy the text. Custom work is written from scratch. Only original ideas with good sources for a research paper are going to be included.
You won’t face any problems when passing a checker. The result - 100% uniqueness is guaranteed. That's why if you aren't sure that you can succeed without extra academic help, a reasonable solution is to entrust the task to professionals rather than violating copyright regulations.