5 Tips on How to Write a Research Paper without Plagiarism
Table of contents
- 1 What is Plagiarism?
- 2 What Is Considered to be Plagiarism in Paper?
- 3 How Much Plagiarism Is Allowed in a Research Paper?
- 4 8 Tips on How Not to Plagiarize a Research Paper
- 4.1 Conduct in-depth research to have a clear picture of what a paper is about
- 4.2 Express the main ideas using your own words
- 4.3 Paraphrase: Change the sequence and structure
- 4.4 Give Broader Content
- 4.5 Use a plagiarism checker
- 4.6 Use quotation marks if you can't do without a certain sentence
- 4.7 Keeping track of your sources.
- 4.8 Make a list of references in the research paper
- 5 The Final Words
Every researcher needs to work on writing their research paper without plagiarism at some point in their career. A research student needs to analyze and adopt the works of scholars and scientists well-synthesized and authentic to write a high-quality research paper that does not contain plagiarism.
However, a student needs to adequately use quotation marks and paraphrasing tools to paraphrase the borrowed ideas and extracts. In that case, it may lead to the detection of plagiarism, considered a serious academic offense. Students can use quotation marks to quote in the borrowed text to avoid plagiarism and dodge the plagiarism checker. In-text citations can also save research students from plagiarism checkers and help them avoid plagiarism.
This article will discuss some of the essential aspects of plagiarism along with tips to avoid plagiarism, like:
- What is plagiarism?
- How much plagiarism is tolerable in research papers?
- Tips for avoiding plagiarism while writing a research paper, etc.
A detailed discussion of these points will help you write a research paper without plagiarism.
It is a misconception! If the sentences you’ve taken from a certain published source are detected, you risk getting a low grade and damaging your reputation. The worst consequence of copying another author's ideas is taking legal responsibility because this is considered theft. It doesn't matter what you steal: goods in a supermarket or ideas from somebody's text.
What is Plagiarism?
If put in simple words, plagiarism can be defined as the unethical presentation of other people’s original work as your own without seeking consent, giving proper credit, or acknowledgment of the original source. However, in most cases, plagiarism is not deliberate but unintentional. It can get detected through a plagiarism checker because of the absence of in-text citations and reference lists in the research papers.
Most research papers have some or other areas for improvement regarding citation style. Every student anticipating academic publishing for their journal articles must have a common knowledge of the referencing and citation rules to ethically mention and acknowledge the sources they chose to refer to.
The unacademic and unacceptable way of using or adopting the information stated in works or old research papers belonging to some other author is considered plagiarism. So let us move ahead in the topic and learn about the deliberate and unintended actions that can be counted as an act of academic dishonesty.
What Is Considered to be Plagiarism in Paper?
It must have become clear by now that using someone else’s work as a reference for writing your academic paper does not count as plagiarism, but not crediting or acknowledging it correctly does. It can make your work highly plagiarized and be considered grave academic dishonesty.
Let us look at the things and practices that constitute plagiarism and should be avoided while writing research papers.
- Copying or cheating.
- Direct quotation of content without using quotation marks.
- Not using in-text citations to cite the referred sources.
- Using someone else’s work as your own without acknowledgment and citation.
- Submitting the same work multiple times also constitutes plagiarism and is termed self-plagiarism.
- Incorrect citation style can also lead to plagiarism detection while using a plagiarism checker.
Students must be utterly mindful of the citation and referencing rules to avoid plagiarism and academic dishonesty. Carefully considering these points will save your work from plagiarism and self-plagiarism. On an academic level, it is not considered if a student intended to commit plagiarism or if it were an ideally unintended mistake, detection of direct quotes sans the acknowledgment leads to unfavorable consequences.
How Much Plagiarism Is Allowed in a Research Paper?
Most academic and research institutions generally have a zero-tolerance policy toward plagiarism. However, some journals allow up to 15% plagiarism in a research paper.
What do you do if you have no idea how to paraphrase without plagiarism and present specific ideas without plagiarizing? Do you need to gain skills in using the synonyms method and paraphrasing texts with technical terms to avoid plagiarism? If you need a good online tool to check your essay or research papers on plagiarism, try the plagiarism checker by PapersOwl. It's free, simple, and many students use it.
8 Tips on How Not to Plagiarize a Research Paper
We all are well aware of the fact that avoiding plagiarism is a huge concern for most writers. They constantly search for easy and effective techniques that can keep them from committing academic dishonesty. This article has mentioned some of the most effective tips to avoid plagiarism. These tips are an apt and applicable solution to how not to plagiarize a research paper. So, let us move ahead and learn about the ways to avoid plagiarism in detail.
Conduct in-depth research to have a clear picture of what a paper is about
Conducting in-depth research about the topic before writing, quoting, or referring to a text in academic research is always advisable to beat Turnitin. It will help you paraphrase more crisply and accurately without any trace of plagiarism in a research paper. Remember, you need to understand the topic clearly to avoid copying, quoting, or paraphrasing the text already in the database in an improper writing style.
Express the main ideas using your own words
- Original Content:
Her life spanned years of incredible change for women as they gained more rights than ever before.
- Edited content after paraphrasing:
She saw the position of women elevating and being better with the acquisition of more and more rights throughout her life.
This is how plagiarism can be avoided, and you can rewrite an excerpt or information without losing the essence or crutch to paraphrase without plagiarism. But, if you have a short deadline, hiring an urgent essay writing service can be helpful since paraphrasing can take some time.
Now we are closer to knowing how to write a research paper without plagiarizing.
You can use this tip for all the main points out there. Just know how to avoid plagiarism by changing the words and sentence order.
Paraphrase: Change the sequence and structure
Paraphrasing a text is not enough to avoid plagiarism. Knowing the right way to an effective and unplagiarized paraphrasing is essential. Replacing a word with its synonym in the same sentence structure is considered mosaic plagiarism.
- Original sentence: Glaciers are melting at an alarming rate due to global warming.
- Bad paraphrasing: Glaciers are defrosting at a frightening speed because of global warming.
- Good paraphrasing: Global warming is leading to extensive and expeditious defrosting of icebergs.
This is how you can paraphrase the language in the most meaningful and creative ways to avoid plagiarism. You can use Papers Owl’s paraphrasing tool to fix plagiarism instantaneously and effectively.
Give Broader Content
Making the borrowed content elaborate, descriptive, and understandable in your own words while adding it to your paper will also help you prevent plagiarism in your work. Making the concise information expansive will automatically rule out the scope for plagiarism.
Use a plagiarism checker
Using plagiarism detection tools to avoid plagiarism has been a common thing. Some students want to know how to write a research paper without plagiarizing. A free plagiarism checker can help. Here are a few benefits, such as:
- Make sure there are no mistakes with the in-text citations you have used.
- Detects all types of plagiarism in research you may not even know about.
- It helps you see where the issues are so you can replace them in your own words.
- Finds the most common types of research plagiarism in seconds.
Use quotation marks if you can't do without a certain sentence
It is always better to say something in your own words, but you can use sentences from other authors.
Here is how:
- Original lines: “The use of AI technology is on the rise these days, leading to the great demand for automation tools.”
- The wrong way to use it: The use of AI technology is on the rise these days resulting in great demand for automation tools.
- The proper way of using it: “The use of AI technology is on the rise these days, leading to the great demand for automation tools.” (Thulin, 2021)
However, to avoid plagiarism, you should use a paraphrased or summarized method.
Keeping track of your sources.
One of the essential guidelines you can follow not to commit plagiarism is to keep track of the references you use in your research paper. It will help you add an accurate reference list to your paper during the final revision to fix plagiarism.
Make a list of references in the research paper
Always use the reference list that is mandatory these days. But you don't have to worry: nowadays, the internet is full of different citation generators, and you can choose the one that best fits your needs. Here is an example of a well-formatted reference below:
- Alvarez, E., & Tippins, S. (2019). Socialization agents that Puerto Rican college students use to make financial decisions. Journal of Social Change, 11(1), 75–85.
- Laplante, J. P., & Nolin, C. (2014). Consultas and socially responsible investing in Guatemala: A case study examining Maya perspectives on the Indigenous right to free, prior, and informed consent. Society & Natural Resources, 27, 231–248.
- Jerrentrup, A., Mueller, T., Glowalla, U., Herder, M., Henrichs, N., Neubauer, A., & Schaefer, J. R. (2018). Teaching medicine with the help of “Dr. House.” PLoS ONE, 13(3).
These guidelines will help you pass the plagiarism test easily without striking any similarity from the works already in the database. When writing a research paper, it is vital to take steps to ensure that the paper is free from plagiarism. One way to do this is by using Papers Owl. This online service helps students and professionals avoid plagiarism and write high-quality research papers quickly and easily. PapersOwl assists with the research process and helps to ensure that the paper is cited correctly and free from plagiarism.
Maintaining originality and avoiding plagiarism is essential when writing a research paper. An excellent way to achieve this is by using citation generators and paying someone to do your assignment if necessary. Proper citation validates your sources and gives credit to the original author. It's essential to ensure appropriate attribution to minimize the risk of plagiarism.
The Final Words
Adopting the ways and measures stated in this article allows you to submit a plagiarism-free paper. You can also use plagiarism checkers to ensure the novelty and uniqueness of your work. It will mark out the faulty areas and help you rectify the mistakes. These steps will make your research unique and enhance the quality of the information and language used.
Deep research, time, and hard work are essential to writing a well-written paper without plagiarism. However, the most effortless way of writing a paper is to hire a plagiarism-free essay writer who is well-qualified and holds extensive knowledge as well as research skills to produce high-quality work that is compelling and authentic. Hiring reliable services can make your research journey seamless and less exhausting by offering extra time to focus on other significant events and academic engagements.