After you made it so far and you think that the paper is already completed – remember about one important thing remaining, editing. Editing is one of the most important parts and to skip it is the biggest mistake. Today we will share with you some great ideas and methods of editing and proofreading that you may use when writing texts.
Also, we have to say that these methods are not suitable if you write in the genre of free-writing – It's for texts that other people will read. Let's check how to do science research paper writing better and why it’s important! We have noticed that some college and university students are faced with the problem of how to write relevantly, and give a clear structure to an academic paper. At the same time, the level of literacy of authors also suffers.
How To Edit A Paper Professionally?
At first, we have to hi-light 5 reason why it’s important:
- Euphony: Change the order of words, work on the rhythm and dynamics, replace expressions and characteristics of the paper in a colloquial style, and remove clichés.
- Brevity: Short and concise is better than long and senseless.
- Truth: Only include proven facts or specify the source of any data.
- Literacy: Proofread to see if there are any punctuation, spelling, syntax mistakes, typos, and all other mistakes.
- Pause: You need to separate the stages of writing and correction to give yourself a break from the material, and the material — from you.
Tips on writing a paper without plagiarism can make the writing process easier. How to edit your paper to get a brilliant result?
Take a break
Creative and critical processes should be separated. When you write, stay in the flow while thoughts and ideas are spinning in your head and do not restrain yourself. The writing process is very important. When you finish - take a break – distract your thoughts for at least a day before editing.
Why is it necessary? While writing, emotions are bright in you, each sentence is filled with intonations and everything seems important and necessary. In other words, you are bonded to the text. The main point of the break is to separate this connection. To objectively approach editing, you need to forget the text you wrote, you need to edit with an open mind, the way you would edit other people's texts.
If you have deadlines, immediately put in the time for breaks in the work schedule and do not forget them. Otherwise, there is a risk to hand in poor-quality material. First, write — write out — and then pause (the duration of the match inner feelings: someone may take a break for a couple of hours, while some for weeks).
Literacy is important
If you publish a text with mistakes — you lose the respect of the reader and you have a chance to lose authority in the eyes of a competent audience. The text should be clean and tidy, to every comma and letter – that’s why editing research papers is important. How to avoid it? If a high level of literacy is not about you, don’t despair. Literacy is more of a technical aspect of writing than a creative one and your audience is primarily interested in the topic and benefits of the text. It’s important to do thorough and qualitative research paper editing. To avoid mistakes, you may use a grammar checker or check it by yourself. The second solution would be wiser because Microsoft word can’t see all the mistakes and many other checkers too.
You need to check all the statements and facts in the text that can be verified. If you are unsure or unable to verify your data, you do not have the right to publish the material. Forget the phrase "most people", "many people think/see/know" and such phrases. If you can't confirm the numbers, be honest and state that you think so due to the words of friends and acquaintances, or the results of voting among your subscribers in social networks. As a writer, you have a certain responsibility. If you use data from any publications as a basis and there are no references to sources, do not use this information, or check it by yourself.
Trim all the fat you can, delete all senseless sentences or phrases. Work through different levels: sentences, paragraphs, and the entire text.
Don’t Make These Mistakes In Research Paper Editing
There are common mistakes that you can do while editing research papers:
- Don’t leave everything for the last moment; make sure that you have enough time to check everything properly;
- Make sure that you follow the rules and requirements of your assignment. If you have a precise requirement and an exact number of words, try to follow it;
- Don’t skip fact/information checking;
- Proofread your work after you get some rest and don’t hesitate to ask a peer or relative to read it as well;
- Create files in Microsoft Word and don’t neglect its spelling check, it can be quite useful;
- Don’t hurry and take your time, it's easy to miss a mistake if you read too fast.
It’s really hard to follow all the rules and many students prefer to ask to edit paper online. That’s a great solution, it may save time and bring you a high grade! After a long time spent on writing, you may not have enough time and nerves to edit your scientific paper. There is a choice!
Was this helpful?
Sorry about that
How can we improve it?