From the many different problems with the process of writing an essay, choosing the topic idea for the essay is one of the hardest things to deal with. Some people can get stuck in selecting the appropriate method of citation, research methods, and supporting/arguing a thesis. However, usually, it all depends on the subject and type of writing that the teacher usually mentions. In our article, we want to help you make a decision to choose an appropriate topic to write about.
Meanwhile, selecting the most appropriate and right topic is 100% of the student’s problem. When a teacher proposes a certain topic, students may find themselves frustrated or confused, as the topic doesn’t always meet students’ demands. Nevertheless, when it comes to choosing the topic on our own, we can get even more frustrated, as we always want it to be provocative, informative, and effective, but don’t always know what will be the best title to choose. The topic should attract the reader’s attention, so it will be useful to check a list of 120 best essay topics for American students. And here on this page, we’re going to figure out how to select a perfect essay idea according to a type of assignment you've got from your professor.
How To Choose An Essay Topic?
College and university students are used to looking for good essay topics in order to impress the teacher or express everything they know about a certain subject matter. Some of us always have brilliant ideas for essays, but not everyone. There are others, who aren't confident about the topic for an essay from the very beginning and find it hard to make a choice, and here we’re glad to provide you some good tips for choosing a good writing topic.
- Always choose the topic by considering what’s interesting for you within the discipline you’re going to write on.
- When you have found a perfect idea, do not rush – first, make sure you have at least a few sources where you can find the information you need because it is impossible to complete an essay without any material.
- Analyze the topic. Figure out its type (it can be broad or narrow): a broad theme won’t provide any specific information, for example, “mineral resources on Earth” – it is unclear and the reader will not know what you will write about because the theme is wide and could tell about different types of resources on the planet. Thus, narrow titles, being more specific, usually focus on one or a few specific questions and thus, the reader can immediately understand what is the purpose and main idea of your paper. For example, “What is the best source of fuel for our planet’s industries?”.
- Think how much you know about the subject you are planning to write about – this will help you figure out if it is worth choosing it or not, and don’t be afraid of asking the teacher for hints.
- Don’t try to look smarter by choosing a harder or complicated essay topic because the fewer sources you have, the harder your work will be, and don’t be afraid of making some changes in the topic if you feel like it’s a bit difficult to write about.
Ideas For Topic Essay By Type
Find a short essay topics list by categories.
- The hardest decision you had to make
- What movie would you want to shoot if you were a director?
- Losing people. Who’s a person you are afraid to lose?
- The best place for the vacation
- If you would be an animal, what animal would you like to be the most: explain why you have chosen a particular animal?
- What made you most depressed in college?
- Your role models in childhood or in the school: was it a parent, teacher, sibling, friend or someone else?
- Who you dreamed to be in childhood?
- Did you have an experience that showed your real-life values or change them: what was the situation and what lessons have you learned from it?
- Which book character do you think you are?
From traveling to starting a new job - discover 50+ interesting narrative essay topics in our special article.
- Diets don’t help in losing weight
- Global warming: is it a myth?
- Do video games correlate with violence in schools?
- Sexual content on TV: do you agree that it has a negative impact on kids and how does it manifest itself?
- Is gun control a good thing? Does it reduce crime?
- Violation of copyright rules by downloading sites
- What is the worst song in the world and which one is the best in your opinion?
- Why are abortions illegal?
- Should cloning be banned?
- How far can science go?
Need more ideas? Pick your excellent one among our wide list of argumentative essay topics for college students.
- Racism in sports
- Cybersport in the 21st century
- Drug addiction among teenagers
- Avoiding recidivism
- Ancient technologies
- International trading
- Solar energy in the 21st century
- How has technology improved our lives?
- Travel safety for children
- Religion and conflicts
Persuasive essay ideas:
- Should the government permit guns on college campuses?
- Is childhood vaccination mandatory?
- Security cameras – is it safety or an invasion of our privacy
- Is it legal to keep exotic pets at home?
- Why isn't public transportation free for city residents?
- Is it okay for minors to have tattoos even with parental permission
- Should education be free for everyone?
- Should organ donors be financially compensated?
- Can parents lie to their children?
- Does illegal immigration harm the economies of different countries: in which way and how this issue can be solved?
Read more powerful persuasive essay titles in our special list.
- Describe a place that exists only in your imagination
- Describe things that scare you
- Describe the best year of your life
- Describe your favorite teacher’s classroom
- Describe the hardest task you've had
- Describe your best friend to a person that doesn’t know him or her
- Describe the saddest day in your life
- Describe modern technology to the people in the 1800s
- Describe your favorite pet
- How would you describe yourself to the person you like?
Choose one of these topics or try our reflective essay writer - useful service for students.
- What was the funniest moment in your life?
- What movie/book made you cry?
- The hardest exam in your life
- The most unusual place you've visited
- The most challenging task you've had in your life
- An event or place you would like to forget
- How did you meet your best friend?
- A moment that changed your life
- The day when you won a competition
- Your first summer job
- How to eat healthy on a low budget?
- How to prevent bullying in schools?
- Do you think aliens really exist?
- Explain how to become a professional camper
- In which ways do video games affect teenagers
- What is it like to have a genius IQ?
- How to choose your pet?
- Why do we love traveling?
- Why do we fall in love: is there a reasonable explanation to this process or is it some sort of a “chemistry” that can’t be controlled?
- How to make a brilliant party?
Have chosen your brilliant topic but feel the lack of inspiration to write it on time? Some students consider hiring a special essay writing service PapersOwl in order to get the best quality paper and get rid of the difficulties, which makes sense if you are running out of time or can’t write the whole academic paper on your own.
Was this helpful?
Sorry about that
How can we improve it?